Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fitting stylo cranks….
  • DT78
    Free Member

Just put an old set of stylo cranks I had lying round onto a frame.

How tight should I be doing up the bolt that holds the crank onto the spindle?

If I tighten it up too much the cranks don't free spin. If I loosen the bolt off so the cranks do free spin the bolt seems to be very loose and I'd worry it would work loose/crank fall off.

Am I missing a spacer or something?

DT78
    Free Member

Reading the park tools site I've now confused myself a bit more. It suggests I shouldn't be putting in any BB spacers for a GXP BB.

I'm using a hope BB (with converter) with a style crank on a 73mm shell. Currently got one spacer on the drive side…I thought that was right?

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=35

julianwilson
    Free Member

On GXP cranks, the crank bolt is meant to tighten the LH crank up (bastid tight to keep it from undoing) on the spacer only (the spindle is 'stepped' for this) and the drive side is therefore floating (ie it doesn't 'preload' against anything). Sounds like you somehow have too much width across the total width of the bb shell/spacer/bb cups/little gxp insert, hence the drive side crank 'binding' against the drive side bearing.
    I remember my gxp bb's only coming with 2 spacers for 68mm bb shell- I wonder if they are set up for the possibility of 73mm plus chaingide/e-type derailleur as shimano allows with 3 spacers? I would try removing the one spacer you ave and reassemble, see what the chainline and gap between the RH crank and bb cup/bearing looks like. (it should be very close indeed but as i mentioned ablove not actually pressed in against it). My, what a lot of brackets. Happy spannering.

oh, or your LH side bearing is seized, so little torque means the crank spins inside the sized inner race, and more torque means it fastens on to the spacer properly but seized bearing prevents it from spinning freely. If it still does this with no spacers then your bearings are seizing. (usually the left hand one first for some reason)

Macavity
    Free Member

Also remember Truvativ bearings are shockingly bad.

DT78
    Free Member

Can't view the hope link at work 🙁 The bb / crank was all setup fine on another frame 6 months or so ago.

I'll try removing the spacer and tighten it all up when I get back this evening, would have thought that would give a horrible chain line though…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fitting stylo cranks….’ is closed to new replies.