Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fitting SRAM 11 speed cassettes
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Defeated by this today (and could only search on my phone).

Cassette is part splined but has a thread about a cm in.
    Hope hub has matching freehub.
    Old cassette tool still fits into splined interface on at end.

However, nothing seems to move – no part of the cassette seems to rotate to allow the thread to do it’s job and when pushed on it’s already going far enough the the freehub splines are engaging. The manual gives nothing away – pdf here

What am I missing? How does this fit?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Standard cassette tool in the same place as usual. The whole cassette will screw off in one piece rather than having a lock ring on the outside. They can be very tight, so just make sure you dont rip the splines off like i did.

euans2
    Free Member

slide the cassette on the free hub, screw it down. Job done!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Nope, not working for me – should some rings of the the cassette rotate independently of the others? As I say, the splines prevent the whole thing for screwing on.

euans2
    Free Member

Nope, all rings are fixed in place, the only part that rotates is the inner sleeve which clamps down onto the free hub

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So if the hub is held stationary the spline tool should be able to rotate? Certainly wasn’t going to do so without a thump. Will return to it with a larger lever….

euans2
    Free Member

Yes the spline tool should be able to rotate

Just to check, you have made sure that the splines on the cassette line up with the splines on the freehub? If they have not lined up fully then the cassette wont tighten up.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Remove the axle endcap/adaptor from the Hope Hub aswell

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Sam – you mean the QR or 142 bit?

frogstomp

If you don’t already have it, the 142×12 end cap on the cassette side is different for the XX1/XD driver – it’s slightly slimmed down to give clearance between the cap and the bit the cassette tool fits on.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

The 142×12 adaptor (silver) should be removed to remove or fit the Cassette.

Just pulls off.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fitting SRAM 11 speed cassettes’ is closed to new replies.