Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fitting SKS mudguards (part 2)
  • ton

just wanted to let pp and all the other mechanics know, if you need a new bike mechanic, then I am your man.
    just managed to fit a new pair of sks guards to my surly. 47c tyres with sks mtb guards, and it only took me 35 minutes.

I am a spannering god………… 😀

househusband

Did you need to cut down any of the stays…?

munrobiker
    Free Member

ton

left hand front stay needed cutting and bending. I used the eyeley halfway up the fork leg for it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Any blood?

devash
    Free Member

Took me 3 hours to fit them to my old Tricross, but an hour of that was popping out to the shops to buy a hacksaw.

househusband

Seeing as I’ve just taken a pic to rile a few mates on Facebook:

The bosses on the fork are on the inside and located well above the disc brake caliper so so clearance issues – thank you Cannondale!

shuhockey
    Free Member

I used my new angle grinder to cut the stays! Much easier as you don’t need to take them off once you have them adjusted. And I don’t use the plastic caps = FAFF.

TiRed

I cut the stays with a decent cable cutter. Hacksaw not required.

And I don’t use the plastic caps = FAFF.

Not as nicely finished, especially with the P35s.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

that rear mudguard is far too high at the back, you shouldn’t be able to light between the tyre and the guard imo… 6/10 from me

i’m fitting mine tonight and i reckon i’m gonna need a pipe bender to get round my front brake caliper… i have a secret plan though…. watch this space 😉

househusband

6/10 from me

*hangs head in shame*

Yeah, must admit that it is more obvious in the photo! Will rectify.

drlex
    Free Member

You may well want to add a flap on the rear one if you ride with others.

therevokid
    Free Member

wait until you try 35mm sks longboards over 28mm gp 4 seasons ….. !

boblo
    Free Member

@househusband. Assuming that’s a CAADX, have you ridden it yet? Wos it like and particularly, how are the brakes?

robidoo
    Free Member

Fitted some longboards on my CaadX the other week quite a lot of swearing and dropping stuff on the floor and spending five minutes looking for said bits.
    Had to bend the rear stays to go round the disc brake, and cut the fronts as the mounting holes were half way up the fork.
    Oh I used a pair of pliers to cut them GRRRR! 😀
    Took me about 45 mins. Would have been faster if Didn’t have sausage fingers.
    So hats off to Ton (guessing you have shovel hands).

househusband

@househusband. Assuming that’s a CAADX, have you ridden it yet? Wos it like and particularly, how are the brakes?

I’ve had it for over a couple of months now – love it! It’s a 2014 model that I got, reduced, from Epic Cycles. It’s 10sp where the newer ones are 11sp; I’ve got 10sp chains and cassettes so wasn’t fussed at all.

Brakes are fin; I’ve had cable disc brakes on other bikes before – they stop my 15st more than adequately. I think you could easily get hung up on the minutiae of the specifications comparing bikes and brakes! I don’t race cyclocross; it’s a flexible bike that I can use on road and off in the area I now live. Once winter sets on the road bike won’t see much use!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i feel i’ve scored you unfairly…. internet hug to make it all better?

sweepy
    Free Member

I used to fit my mudguards tight but I allow a bit more room now so debris doesn’t jam up under them.

househusband

i feel i’ve scored you unfairly…. internet hug to make it all better?

Manly embrace accepted.

(You only pointed out what is blatantly obvious!)

mlke
    Free Member

Re not using the plastic clips.
    They are really useful safety features as they are designed to fail and stop the front wheel locking up if you’re unlucky enough to have something jam between guard and front tyre.
    I strongly recommend using them

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Oh God…
    I’ve just bought a road bike (after 20 years away mountain biking) and I’m currently looking at a pair of SKS longboards.
    What soundproofing would you recommend for the garage to avoid everyone hearing my language?

tomd
    Free Member

Re not using the plastic clips.
    They are really useful safety features as they are designed to fail and stop the front wheel locking up if you’re unlucky enough to have something jam between guard and front tyre.
    I strongly recommend using them

Yes I’m sure they’re useful but also an unholy ball ache to fit with disc brakes.

wordnumb
    Free Member

What soundproofing would you recommend for the garage to avoid everyone hearing my language?

Always time mudguard fettling to coincide with a major sport team’s shock defeat or the unexpected death of a popular celebrity, people will assume you have a proper reason for any emotional outbursts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ball ache or not , ive seen first hand when someone thought he knew better ,

It was hilarious.

Big stick , mangled mudguard exit via the handlebar door head first.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fitting SKS mudguards (part 2)’ is closed to new replies.