Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus…
  • coogan
    Free Member

…my God, I can not get the final part over the edge of the rim. Any tips gratefully received! I’m knackered trying to get it too fit. Still got the back wheel to do!

epicsteve
    Free Member

They are a nightmare. I used a tool similar to this for mine: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-tyre-seating-tool/rp-prod122324

Fortunately they’ve been on for a few years now without a puncture!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Lube the rim.. oo er

onandon
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jvvXrlAUUfU[/video]

coogan
    Free Member

Bloody right they are nightmare to fit. Hope the are puncture as getting them back off and on again weill be a challenge!

Lube with just chain oil?

scotroutes

Wimp!

Start opposite the valve.

Push tyre into bead.

Make sure you’ve pushed ALL of the tyre into the bead ALL the way round.*

Flip on last part with a steady pair of thumbs.

* My favourite technique is to put one edge of the wheel/tyre horizontally against my stomach and, facing a bench/worktop, press forward until the hub is against the edge of the bench. That keeps the tyre well into the bead. Then it’s just a matter of working out/round from that point until it’s all well in to the bead. If it’s very bad, you may need the help of a tyre lever for that last bit.

ton

i can just do em with my fingers. easy peasy. 😀

slowol

Spa Cycles shot a special video tutorial for this tyre.

I seem to remember still ending up with sore thumbs and tyre levers pinging round the outhouse fitting them.

Just enjoy a evening of ‘entertainment’ to fit each one.

Fortunately no puctures yet for me 🙂

Ol

scotroutes

Except you don’t need toe straps and you should start opposite the valve (the latter is pretty obvious given you want the tyre to sit in the bead as much as possible and it can’t where the valve is).

5lab

with tough tyre/rim combos the thing that works best for me is a spot of washing up liquid then squeeze the last bit on 1mm at a time. Works really well

coogan
    Free Member

Jesus Christ, this is such a b**tard to get on! GaaahhhhH!!!

simmy
    Free Member

I followed that Spa video but used cable ties instead.

I was expecting a fight with it but it was simple. The idea of the toe straps / cable ties is to get one side of the tyre into the very centre of the rim which effectively makes the diameter of the tyre smaller then the tyre will go onto the rim then pop back ( if that makes sense…..)

neilwheel
    Free Member

coogan
    Free Member

And it’s on!!

So. Now for the next one… 😐

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I recall having huge issues getting my standard marathons on a few years back. I resorted to loads of washing liquid all over the tyre and it finally went on!

benp1

Proper hard to get on. I used the Spa Cycles vid too, though didn’t actually use the straps

TiRed

It’s all in the thumbs. Just technique, I’m afraid. At least they do stretch and you won’t need to remove them for a while.

coogan
    Free Member

I never, ever, ever, ever want to have to do that again. Thank you and goodnight.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Did you remember to set them up tubeless, for the weight saving? 😉

Sandwich

Marathon Plus and weight saving. Does not compute 😀

birky
    Free Member

Fitted a pair of these on friday night. Now dreading getting a puncture cos I’ll never get them off.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Just wait until you take them off again because they make your bike feel like a steamroller.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’ve got to take a pair off tonight. Am I in for a swear-fest?

coogan
    Free Member

Probably! I know I was last night. Made it to work with no punctures and didn’t find them as heavy or draggy as folk were saying, but then maybe what they replaced were also as heavy and it’s just what I’m used too!

scotroutes

Oh and make sure you’ve fitted them the right way round (direction arrow on the side) or they’ll explode and kill you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best way to get ’em off after a puncture – ride for a good 50 yards on the rim, that loosens it off.

rossburton
    Free Member

I tried, gave up, took them to the LBS with some other jobs I had. I could hear him muttering something about “bloody marathons” as he walked away…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Put them near a radiator, easier to fit warm IMO!

munrobiker
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-TL-5-Tyre-Lever/dp/B000OZDIHS

For getting them off there is nothing finer.

I used to fit them all the time in the shop, they are a pain. The worst thing is getting them on, either with levers or by hand, after half an hour then finding that you’ve nipped the tube on the way in 🙁

They’re are the best when they’re on though.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

They are good, just taking mine off cos of all the slop we’ve got at the moment which does seem to confound them. Not sure Nanos will be all that much better but it’s an excuse to try tubeless anyway.

rezis
    Free Member

Yes they were a bi*ch. won’t ever get them again purely for that. If I ever do get a nail thru them they’ll never come off at the roadside.

And I resorted to a special tool to get them on too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

use a decent tube.

I used crappy generic tubes, they go down by the end of the week – but there is no way i’m taking the tyres off just to put better tubes in…

CraigW
    Free Member

Best thing for fitting them is the Simson Tyre Mate (aka Koostop Bead Jack). It lifts the tyre over the rim, so avoids pinching the tube.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Fitting Schwalbe Marathon Plus…’ is closed to new replies.