Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Fitting road shoes
  • SaxonRider

I have two pairs of road shoes – both DHB – where one is a 44 and the other a 45.

The 44 is very small, and my feet freeze in them because they can’t move at all, but I actually find the 45 too roomy.

Is there an ideal way in which road shoes should fit?

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, they should be snug on the foot and should resist upward movement for those crucial “balls-out” sprints when you’re giving it everything you’ve got.

Mine have become more snug over the couple of years I’ve had them so I’m able to tighten them more and more nowadays. In very cold weather I keep my feet warm successfully by using stretchy Endura neoprene overshoes, which also keep the shoes dry and clean. I also plug the vents under the toes every autumn with bathroom sealant.

davieg
    Free Member

plug the vents under the toes every autumn with bathroom sealant.

I think I need to try that. I suffer greatly from cold feet, both road shoes and mtb flat shoes. Last night on the road bike, I tried out woolie boolie socks and Castelli Diluvio overshoes for the first time, and my feet were still frozen. Granted they stayed dry but I was hoping my feet would remain warm, but not so.

I don’t think I have my shoes too tight, but I will slacken them a little. I can get cold feet in the spring and autumn so I don’t think a winter boot is the answer and don’t want to keep chucking money at the problem. Surely good socks and overshoes would help, but first impressions are that they haven’t.

Riding in the winter, is cold feet just going to be inevitable and I just need to MTFU?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fit some thicker insoles to the size 45’s. Or get some thin cork sheet off ebay and cut some insole shaped bits to go under your current insoles.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Fitting road shoes’ is closed to new replies.