Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fitting rear wheel on single speed inbred problem
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

After having a go a single speed I’ve decided I want my 456 back as geared so I can make it all the way around Cannock without pushing. However I still want the “fun” and low maintenance of a SS so I’ve just bought an Inbred frame and I’m building it up with parts donated from another bike that seldom gets used because it’s now too small for my giant of a son.
    Tonight I came to fitting the rear wheel, (the tug is still in the post and that may in fact be the problem) but meanwhile advice is sought…
    How the hell do I align the rear wheel so that the disc pads don’t rub? With vertical droputs this isn’t a problem but with horizontals, getting the back wheel perfectly aligned so that the rotor doesn’t catch is near impossible. What am I doing wrong?

ianfitz
    Free Member

Wait for the postie

Once you have the tug/s it’ll line up perfect. Assuming the frame isn’t horridly twisted 😉

Yak

Align the wheel as best as possible by eye and with the chain tension right ( tug will be essential for this, especially as you have QRs). Then realign the caliper to suit.

Do you have the right IS to post mount adaptor on there? Caliper looks angled a bit too far away.

StirlingCrispin

ianfitz and Yak talk sense.

If the caliper still rubs you may need to face the mount or shim the caliper.

(I also once had an Inbred with mounts so misaligned that disc brakes would never work – the new ones are a lot better though)

RoterStern
    Free Member

TBH IME you won’t even get the axle to stay put without the chain tugs if you try riding it. As soon as you put some power down the rear wheel will move forwards along the drop out.

Stoner
    Free Member

If the caliper still rubs you may need to face the mount or shim the caliper.

if the calliper still rubs after centring it as best he can on the slotted IS to post mount…..then there’s somethign very very wrong.

Align the wheel with the centre line of the seat tube.

Tighten it all up as best you can given you’re missing at least one if not two tugs. You wont be able to ride it reliably until you have tugnuts.

Loosen calliper bolts.

Apply rear brake, re-tighten calliper bolts.

boom.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Do you have the right IS to post mount adaptor on there? Caliper looks angled a bit too far away.

I think the adapter is fine, there’s plenty of room in the caliber mount slots to move it closer, in fact in this picture the nuts aren’t even tightened.
    Hoping the tugs turn up tomorrow, I want to ride it! Thanks for the advice btw.

Judging by the comment about my QR should I look to swap to a bolt or does that require a whole new wheel?

StirlingCrispin

Judging by the comment about my QR should I look to swap to a bolt or does that require a whole new wheel?

Yes. Just wait for the tug – it will work fine.

jonba
    Free Member

What i do on my SS commuter and inbred is

Bike oopside doon. 😯 stand behind it

HOld both side of the QR and pull back so the chain is tensioned. Using the drive side as an anchor held in place. Align the disc by eye and then tighten the QR keeping an eye to make sure the wheel is straight. IF the wheel is spinning gently it makes it easier. There is some leeway in the drive side but not the disc side. I only have one tug on my bikes on the drive side.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fitting rear wheel on single speed inbred problem’ is closed to new replies.