Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting really tight tyres – any tips?
  • large418
    Free Member

So I’ve gone all 29er, and have spent a couple of hours trying to fit new tyres onto new rims with very limited success. The tyres are just too tight to fit and get over the rim, I have even resorted to metal tyre levers but I hate using these on ally rims. Tyres are Nobby nicks and rims are Stan’s Crests. any hints and tips as to how to get the tyres onto the rim and then get them seated?

Thanks!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have a set of reallt tight tyres. park blue levers are good – cos they are narrow but tall.

mattbee

Tears. They help lube the bead.

I found with 26″ Crest and NN I had to make sure that the bead of the tyre was all the way down into the lowest point of the rim, right in the spoke bed area. That gave just enough slack, combined with a bit of washing up liquid as lube, to heave the damn thing into place. I use those big yellow Pedro’s tyre levers.

I have to admit that they nearly ended up getting launched over the fence into the neighbours garden while I went back online to buy some Mavic rims but they did go on eventually.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

I know a roady who claims to have never needed to use levers to fit a tyre.

No-one likes a smart arse.

cynic-al
    Free Member

make sure that the bead of the tyre was all the way down into the lowest point of the rim, right in the spoke bed area

This.

Spin – Member

No-one likes a smart arse.

It is possible, all in the technique.

patriotpro
    Free Member

ims are Stan’s Crests.

🙄

poonprice
    Free Member

Lube the bead, put the tyre on the rim leaving the valve section till last, make sure the tyre is sitting in the centre of the rim… then the bodge…. stand on the tyre thats yet to pop on the rim so its tight then push the rim away from you, should do it..

Northwind

How old are the tyres? Schwalbe went through a phase in about 2012 of making TLR tyres that were tighter than they should be- supposedly to make it easier to seal them onto rims but the end result was to make them very hard, sometimes impossible to bead up. (I got one replaced on warranty, it wouldn’t go onto the bead of a Flow or an 819 even with scary pressures)

Shouldn’t affect more recent ones though.

nikk
    Free Member

It should be reasonably easy, and you shouldn’t need tyre levers. As has been said, get the tyre into the centre channel when trying to get the last bit on. I find if you have that last bit tight, then go around the rest of the tyre making sure it is in the middle of the channel, will give you enough slack to get the tyre on.

You can get them off without one as well, I did it once, but the lever is quicker.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nikk – Member

You can get them off without one as well, I did it once, but the lever is quicker.

Some, but not all!

coatesy
    Free Member

Definitely possible without levers, did the same combo yesterday, all down to technique. As said above, get the tyre as deep into the rim’s well as possible (this means starting opposite the valve, as that stops it dropping right in),and work it around as far as possible, then return to the start point and repeat and it’ll create a little more slack every time.

large418
    Free Member

Thanks all, will give it another go during the week with washing up liquid and a bit of patience. Have ordered some meatier plastic tyre levers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting really tight tyres – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.