Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fitting new headset – to grease or not to grease? That is the question
  • bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

As above really. Looked on the park tools website and there’s no mention of greasing the cups before insertion

nedrapier

not

lovewookie

very small amount.

It’s not like ye olde square taper where you have the danger (albeit not that scary) of damaging the crank by it sliding too far up the taper*. The cups go in until they’re done, a little bit of grease helps them go in and also acts as a barrier to corrosion between the frame and the cups for a little while anyway.

*that discussion is not really needed here is it…

prezet
    Free Member

Yep. Can’t do any harm.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Can’t do any harm. “

based on what ?

matt500
    Free Member

I did, i also stuck the cups in the freezer overnight which helped.

prezet
    Free Member

based on what ?

Well, the bike is hardly likely to fall apart is it. 🙄
    It’ll at least help the cup insertion, and prevent possible future seizure when trying to remove.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your doing it to prevent seizure then you want anti seize or copperslip – even better would be light loctite.

grease is to aid movement – sliding componants , seals and bearings.

never had an issue putting them in dry , you dont want to encourage movement in press fit or cause creaking by introducing an agent for dirt and dust to stick to

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I grease any metal to metal contact unless using copaslip or locktite. Never ever a dry joint

lovewookie – Member

very small amount.

It’s not like ye olde square taper where you have the danger (albeit not that scary) of damaging the crank by it sliding too far up the taper*.

Actually you should grease square taper cranks IMO

explanation cortesy of sheldonbrown

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/installing-cranks.html

BrickMan

+1 on anti-seize (that white/grey stuff).

As I’ve ripped paint of many frames when coming to remove them (cup grabs paint during its years on the bike, then when hammered out of frame, grabs it behind and flakes off = corrosion = bsrt£!!!d to get another one back in).

xcstu
    Free Member

Dry on dry.. never… Grease/Copperslip most def 🙂

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, cups are in the freezer as I write and I’ll put some copper slip on them before insertion. Cheers people 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes agree for non moving parts use copper slip grease to prevent seizing as one day you may wish to remove them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fitting new headset – to grease or not to grease? That is the question’ is closed to new replies.