Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fitting new disk pads question
  • cakefest
    Free Member

going to install new brake pads. have got mono minis. biggest stumbling block for me is usually getting the pistons back into the calipers, to make space for the new pads. any advice?

crispybacon
    Free Member

Leave old pads in & use a screwdriver blade to force the pads/pistons apart – job done.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

What crispy bacon said. Have a look at the Hope web site – videos showing how to do it.

iainc

..or, take pads out and stick an allen key (6mm ish), into the caliper and pull back evenly on the piston.

cakefest
    Free Member

have just done it with an allen key, and as i pull back on one piston, the other one moves out. what’s the best way to get them both back into the caliper evenly??

doing this with the reservoir closed and no bleeding kit on there yet. should it all be set up and ready to bleed?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Do one pad at a time.

No need to bleed.

cakefest
    Free Member

if i don’t back them both off, then i can’t get the rotor in between the new pads!! ideas?

iainc

you need to push one back with allen key, hold it back with something flat and then push the other one with the allen key – sometime need a 3rd hand !! they will both go back and once they are reset should be fine

cakefest
    Free Member

aha, the elusive 3rd hand. will try.

cakefest
    Free Member

too much fluid in there. drained some out, and both pads pushed out evenly. sorted. thanks for your tips.

jam-bo

plastic tyre levers are thick enough to push both pistons back in and not damage them like a screwdriver can.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup, careful – I cracked the edge off a magura piston with a screwdriver.

Drac

How did you get too much fluid in?

cakefest
    Free Member

dunno. possibly added more fluid when the pads started to wear a bit. sorted now though. mega brakes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fitting new disk pads question’ is closed to new replies.