Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fitting Mucky Nutz rear fender
  • drofluf
    Free Member

Can’t work out how to fit it and haven’t got any instructions!

Anyone got a link or pictures of how they’re fitted?

Thanks

warpcow
    Free Member

Edit: sorry I’m an idiot, didn’t see “rear”.

The widest holes onto the rails where they come out of the saddle, then pull down the narrower tab so it attaches to the narrower section of rails.

I only use the widest holes on mine and it’s fine.

thepurist

Easy. Remove from packaging, fold carefully, put in bin, buy proper mudguard.

Made virtually no difference for me, now looking at Mudhugger.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Can’t work out how to fit it and haven’t got any instructions

its so simple it shouldnt need them 😀 , though it can be quite fiddly.

My experiences:
    Too short to have any effect on my MTBs.
    Doesnt fit munqe-chick’s saddle due to saddle design- points the fender at an angle of about 45 degrees downwards.
    Worked so well on a mates road bike she bought 4 after borrowing mine.
    They do a longer version which I can see working but then being ridiculously flappy.

warpcow
    Free Member

It depends entirely on what you expect of it. If you want something to stop spray from getting directly to your arse then it’s excellent, but a full coverage mudguard it ain’t.

GolfChick
    Free Member

have to second thepurist opinion. James had one, snapped it at the bomb hole water splash. They sent him next years to try out which was supposed to be thicker as well as a replacement of the first one. He snapped the second after I think 5 rides and so gave away the replacement. To be fair their customer service is brilliant and maybe they work for other riders but it was useless for us. We now both have mudhuggers and fit and remove according to the weather as they’re not particularly light, it works perfect despite any abuse we put it through.

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks warpcow, but I’ve got a different model

ALso have a velcro strip with a plastic loop at the end

BadlyWiredDog

Yes, they’re confusing and the instructions – such as they are – are confusing. It’s almost impossible to explain as well and a ‘finished’ picture won’t help much either. The three holes bit folds back and is secured by the bolt/sleeve assembly, different holes give different angles for the blade. The soft, grippy strip sits around the seatpost under the Velcro strap which holds it in place.

I broke my first one, the guys replaced it FOC – great service – and promised me an updated one if the new failed, so far it’s been okay and quite effective, I’d say 75% if the Mudhugger (on another bike) is 100% and it’s super light and easy to remove and replace.

Hang on, I’ll try and take a pic of it…

BadlyWiredDog

Don’t know if that’s any help, but it’ll maybe give you some idea of how it works. You’re not the only bemused by this, a friend of mine had reached the point of binning her one – I had to retrieve it from the rubbish and put it together for her. Confusing origami-esque head spinner… 😕

birdage

Thanks for posting this. Mine’s somewhere in the garage after I threw it there 6 months ago, thinking I was just too thick to work it out. Turns out I was!

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks BadlyWiredDog – that really helps

andybrad

its good that you sent you a new one. I tried mine and broke it the first time out as it got overloaded with mud. Its an obvious design flaw in the way its fixed to the seat tube and i offered to help. i didnt even get a reply.

Wont be getting another its rubbish. the little one was at least semi usable.

BadlyWiredDog

Like I said above, I broke my first one pretty quickly at the very obvious folded weak point. My second one has been fine so far, but then I mostly ride locally which is Dark Peak where the mud is a sort of gritty slurry rather than full-on gloop.

I don’t think it’s the most robust design in the world, but the MN customer service was decent and they did replace it FOC. If you want excellent mud protection, the Mudhugger is almost magical in its ability to protect you from mud, but its relatively heavy and ugly and a bit of a faff to remove and re-attach since it uses 12 zip-ties…

Anyway, glad if the pics help anyone.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fitting Mucky Nutz rear fender’ is closed to new replies.