Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • fitting lock ons to carbon bars
  • kwack
    Free Member

Got myself a set of renthal carbon bars. ..cant seem to get the end collar over the end of the bar to tighten up

Dont want to force it so was wondering what other grips people use and are there different locking mechanisms for the wnd collar

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Aren’t both collars the same? What lock-ons are you using?

kwack
    Free Member

Superstar ones that have an integrated end cap and lock on

SamB
    Free Member

If you’re using these end caps, then DON’T! http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/solid-bar-ends-x2.htm

The grub screw tightens the cap on by pushing into the bar, not by clamping round it. That’s a big mistake on carbon bars, as it’s very very easy to break the bars. Get an end collar that clamps round, not into, the bar, then plugs to go in that.

ridewhenever
    Free Member

As above, don’t use anything with a radial bolt, only tangential bolts for clamping.

Personally I’d just remove the screw completely and whack it on, the renthals can be a bit snug, check you’ve removed the QC stickers as they can cause issues.

kwack
    Free Member

Ok thanks any suggestions for new lock on grips then other than these type fittings

Paceman
    Free Member

ODI lock-ons have been fine with carbon bars in my experience.

deadkenny
    Free Member

as it’s very very easy to break the bars

No it isn’t. People need to get away from thinking carbon is swiss cheese. Carbon bars in particular are very tough, and they don’t just snap with a small scratch in the surface lacquer / paint.

As for the above Superstar bar ends, that’s rubbish. The grub screw pushes a metal band inwards to tighten. Nothing digs into the bar. It’s equivalent to tightening a strap around the bar, though on top of that the band tightens around the plastic grip, *not* the bar itself. I’ve used them for years and not a scratch on my Easton Havoc carbon bars from Superstar grips and those end caps. Plus they are end caps, not locks. They shouldn’t need to be that tight anyway. The locks are on the other end and they clamp the lock, not dig into the bar.

All that said, use carbon assembly paste on the bar before clamping anything to it. It reduces the torque required while retaining grip. Worth using even on aly bars.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

As deadkenny says, the Superstar grips are fine, using a metal pressure band so the grub screw does not contact the bars. Just use some assembly paste to reduce the clamping forces.

Northwind

my Havens came with a wee slip of paper saying basically “ODI type yes, grubscrew type no”. I can’t remember 100% whether the picture of the grub type they used had a load spreading plate like Superstar do, but I think it did. Anyone confirm?

oliwb
    Free Member

Pair of those grips wrecked my old MAXM carbon bars in exactly the way described above….ODI all the way for me – wouldn’t even let some superstars grips touch my haven’s after previous experience with them.

chrssmale
    Free Member

Cracked my havens too 🙁 Really didn’t take much, there was still some play just before and I used carbon paste.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘fitting lock ons to carbon bars’ is closed to new replies.