Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting Gore gear cables
  • D0NK

How difficult to fit? I'd guess I'm a slightly ham fisted semi competent bike mechanic, I can do most stuff myself but not quickly or neccessarily cleanly. Reason I'm asking is I got some semi sealed cables (not gore) many years ago and totally screwed up the fitting and wasted my money. I'm a bit better at stuff now but don't wanna waste £40 and I'm considering getting a shop to fit them instead. What do you think?

Oh and can you get 2 rear cable runs out of one pack? (not much point putting sealed cables on front mech)
    EDIT just looking and it looks like extra long kit should be right for doing 2 rear runs but does it have enough ferrules and stuff?

lowey

Told ya… XTR.

BEt you cock it up.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The instructions on the brake cables I have look very straight forward. Not actually got round to fitting them yet though. A mate of mine fitted gear cables, I will ask him and report back.

tandemwarriors

It is straight forward & logical, just take your time about it and you'll be fine.

D0NK

It does look easy, just wondering how others got on.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Take your time and be methodical. Getting a clean cut on the ends of cable sections is always important, but more so with the liner set-up. No matter how good your cutters are, get yourself a metal file and clean up the cable ends so that they are perfectly flat – even if it means filing a mm or two to remove an inward burr. This should really be standard practice on cable installs, but it's vital with the RideOns because a burr will destroy the liner within a very short space of time. For all that Gore bang on about reading and sticking to the instructions, I don't know why they fail to mention this part.

Junkyard
    Free Member

slightly ham fisted semi competent bike mechanic

Remember you work in IT there is NOTHING you cannot do.

Oh and can you get 2 rear cable runs out of one pack?

Well most people can but given your need for a lasso loop in your gear cable the extra long might just do one rear. DO you have pic Lowey?

I have some spare ferrules and end caps you can have.

Will help you if you need it as I need to change my gear cables actually we can do a service day /night
    YGM re other stuff

D0NK

Three_Fish cable end burr was what ruined the old cables I mentioned, I know (a bit) better now 🙂

Cheers for the offer Junkyard, I've got plenty of standard ferrules dunno if these are custom special made jobbies but the packs only have 7 and I need 8 – sneaky.

Lowey once fitted I shall flaunt my perfect shifting at every opportunity (assuming i do it right of course)
    🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I ran full outers on mine, which meant having to drill out the cable stops so it would fit through. THAT was a bit nerve-wracking for a similarly ham-fisted chap like me. The fitting and set-up of the cables was straightforward though and I didn't even file the ends. 18 months or so later and the shifting is still fine. Personally I don't find them as slick as a well oiled "tradtional" cable inner and outer, but they are great for "fit and forget" shifting that remains indexed

timbercombe
    Free Member

Easp peasy, I found fitting as easy as a normal set of gear cables really.

mtbfix

They are easy enough to fit. Make sure that if you fall off that the bar or lever does not pinch the liner as this will damage it and knacker the shifting.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Well worth it! If you need it a continuous length, cut to fit set is available for tandems or continuous run rear cables like my Orange 5. The main thing is to take your time and work out what goes where and cut the outer BEFORE inserting the liner and cable. The instructions to follow are the ones on the Ride-On Gore website, the printed version with the set is subtly different. I have run mine for a year now with no sign of degradation yet.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting Gore gear cables’ is closed to new replies.