Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fitting gear cable to shifter pods
  • white101

Is it easy to fit the gear cables to a shifter pod (deore 530)?

I broke my right hand shifter (on my FS) earlier this year and went into my LBS who told me I would have to buy a new pair complete with cables £58!! cos you couldn't buy em on there own.
    I bought some discs brakes for my HT this week and when it came to fitting tonight I have the LH shifter (the leftover from earlier purchase) fitted fine but was wondering if I'd be better off just buying the pod ( cos after a bit of searching on CRC you CAN buy individual pods, still got the cables from the V brake set up.
    Hoping I can just buy the shifter pod and put the cable on myself.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your lbs is right through official channels deore is not availible as a r/h only …

CRC may have split some sets or got some oem off downhill bikes or something

the cables from your v brake set up will not work as they are brake cables

it is easy to fit gear cables to deore shifters- remove the cross head plastic bung , ensure the shifter is at the correct end and thread the cable through ….

a new shifter from CRC will likely come with a new gear cable pre fitted

white101

Cheers TR, I think your right that a new pod will come with the cable fitted, they are £25.
    I've ordered them

jond
    Free Member

BTW – it's wasn't mentioned, but the reason you can't interchange brake/gear cables is they're different gauges due to the difference in tension – brake cables are thicker. Likewise the cable sheath/outer is different too – brake cable is a helical winding of steel that won't compress, whereas a brake outer is just reinforced with steel wire along it's length.

(and all the shifters I've ever bought have come with cable, fwiw..)

cynic-al
    Free Member

gear outer is also helical but closer to being longitudinal IYKWIM

Ive seen folk use gear cable on brakes, gives a much lighter feel. Can't see it breaking but I'm not guaranteeing it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fitting gear cable to shifter pods’ is closed to new replies.