Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fitting FIT to Open Bath system on Fox 32 Talas 2012
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Hi,

just wondering if any of you guys have ad experience doing this? Is it something I could do myself without have to buy a plethora of tools? Where would I buy the FIT system?

Cheers

Rob

P-Jay
    Free Member

I had Loco do exactly that to my 36s – I believe it’s relatively easy as you’re replacing a complete unit – probably need one of those big sockets and some hex keys.

Sourcing may be harder though, I rarely see fox spares being sold opening unless it’s stickers or valve caps etc – I’d speak to Loco about it, they’re reopening soon.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I did it to my last set of 32’s. It was really strightforward with servicing tools.

The FIT damper comes ready bled and fit right in. It’s like an oil change service but with you remove the damper once the lowers are off.

I found a new damper on eBay without much fuss. Mojo will ask north of £300 for the job, though.

ndthornton
    Free Member

You will need A big ass socket with no chamfer (26mm I think) to remove the damper.

I bought a socket and borrowed an angle grinder to grind it flat.

Other than this you will need some 10 weight oil – I get it from the local motorbike shop. A set of allen keys to remove the damper nobs and a spanner for the bottom not.

You might also want to replace the dust wipers at the same time – or just clean them if they are not that old. you should be able to re-use the crush washer on the bottom nut but you get a new one with a seal set.

giddyrob
    Free Member

cool, cheers guys…

Got onto mojo and they said £239 for the part… Do you reckon I should be able to source a bit cheaper somewhere?

The forks are new 2012 from ebay. I have a straight head on the bike so bit limited on choice from Fox forks hence the purchase with FIT.

Not sure it’s worth doing at that price though as I’m trying to get a year or two extra out of the bike until I go shopping for the new Stead 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s a good upgrade, the open bath damper is appalling IMO.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Just make do with the open bath damper till a FIT one appears on ebay. For the money you’d pay Mojo for just the damper, you could get a 2nd hand set of forks, with FIT. A damper will appear at some point, just set up alerts so you know when one is listed.

Not much use to you now, but I sold a FIT RLC damper on ebay last week, for £60. Hopefully another one will come up for you soon.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Ah, great stuff…. that makes more sense 🙂 I will keep myself glued to ebay and make the upgrade when I service them…

Out of interest. Is there still much talk about alternative seals for the forks instead of the fox ones? Keep reading about enduro ones. Though the post was quite old so wondered if it’s still relevant?

Cheers…

citizeninsane
    Free Member

The SKF low friction ones that Fox use these days are pretty good. Definitely better than the ones they used to use. I’ve always just replaced them with the same and never had a single issue. Are the enduro ones better? Some will say yes, some no. I think they’re probably better than the old Fox seals, but maybe not that much difference with the SKF ones.

Edit: Keep an eye out for spares/repair forks too. Plenty of people damage their stanchions/lowers and sell the forks on for spares. As long as the damper is ok, you’ll be golden. Just swap it over.

giddyrob
    Free Member

hey, will this do the trick?

ebay link to damper

Cheers 🙂

euans2
    Free Member

You’re best to keep an eye on eBay, there was a Fit 32 RLC cartridge for sale a couple of weeks ago for £60

sv

hey, will this do the trick?

ebay link to damper

Cheers

That FIT damper is for a 34 chassis.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Thanks…. thought that would be the case, just wasn’t sure if it was a one size fits all.

I’ll keep looking 🙂

RickDraper
    Free Member

That FIT damper above in the eBay link is the lesser one. If you are doing it I’d be looking for a Factory FIT CTD damper with the adjustable trail setting. You can spot this one as it has a black adjuster below the blue CTD lever.

Either that or try to get hold of a FIT RLC damper.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fitting FIT to Open Bath system on Fox 32 Talas 2012’ is closed to new replies.