Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fitting discs to old kona – worth it?
  • oli82
    Free Member

Hi there everyone.

I’ve got a ten year old Kona Roast, which has done me well. I’m thinking of whacking a disc brake set up on it, which should hopefully lighten the rotating weight too. I reckon this is doable for £200 – sound about right?

What I’m beginning to wonder is if I might be better off simply buying a new £500 hard-tail? Is this likely to be much better, especially as I don’t exactly do a lot of jumps any more? I’m not sure how much the tech has really come on in a decade, so enlighten me please!

z1ppy

tech come on over the decade, then price pushed it out of the room IMO, but that’s if were talking new, 2nd hand you can buy a lot for that
    (just got a complete On One scandal for a m8, with SLX/LX kit & reba’s for £500 2nd hand – that not bad at all in my book).
    £200 should easily cover the cost of the brakes, though it depends if the frame (I’m not familar with it) has a rear disc mount or you expect to have one added, and again 2nd hand it would go a lot further…. If were talking wheel and brakes, 2nd hand is possibly your only choice.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Doable not worth it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Doing it on the cheap – i.e. do touch-up yourself (not Priest kind of touch-up you understand) way cheaper, powdercoat will be cheaper than argos etc.

Whether any of them are worth it is up to you – 10 year old frame…been abused or not? Attached to it?

Andy-R

You should be able to pick up a set of disc brakes from the classifieds here for around £100, I would have thought.
    You’ll have mounts on the frame and forks if it’s a 2001 model and maybe disc hubs. If not, then you’ll have to factor in the cost of a pair of wheels but I don’t think that you’d have any problem finding a pair s/h.

xiphon
    Free Member

Stick with some XT/XTR v-brakes!

How does a disc lighten the rotating weight of a wheel – or am I missing something??

If anything, it adds to rotational weight?

TheBrick
    Free Member

disk rims can be made lighter. thinner walls.

xiphon
    Free Member

Ah, gotcha.

I still think V-brakes would be a sensible choice.

TheBrick
    Free Member

quite possibly especially if you can find some NOS xtr.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have to say having recently built up my first disc hardtail, its a revelation in the sh!tty stuff. None of that V Brake grinding and general clogging up around the calipers, plus rims last so much longer with discs.

If the frame has a rear disc mount i’d say go for it, if it doesnt, its probably not worth the hassle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I see I misunderstood previously…I’d say do it if you like the frame, unless you’ve just bought some new wheels…

TheBrick – Member
    disk rims can be made lighter. thinner walls.

I’m not convinced that was ever established.

ourmaninthenorth

Advice to me a while ago was not to bother, but ride it as it is or hang it on the wall. This is for a 1992 Lava Dome.

fluffykittens
    Free Member

If your frame doesn’t have any disc mounts, then you could always go for some forks with disc mounts, and have disc brakes at the front and V brakes at the back.

I’ve used this set-up on a Kona Explosif from circa 97-98, and it’s not too bad. Only real issue I’ve had with it is the forks changing the angles a bit, hence the steering.

NB The above method may be a load of bullshit fed to me by Mr Fluffykittens in order to avoid having me screaming “what the f*** are you taking me down this for? I’ve only got V-brakes you ****!” followed by me asking him to buy the Ti hardtail frame that I’d really like (it’ll be an investment, and we are both the same frame size… 🙂 )

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fitting discs to old kona – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.