Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting disc brake to non disc brake mount frame / Clarkes M2?
  • joebristol

Hi there, wondered if anyone has done this recently? It’s an old ish alloy hardtail frame I’ve got with no disc mounts. Built it up on the cheap as a multi purpose bike – mostly using it for some commuting, but also on the local pump track from time to time.

Currently running hs33 maguras but the back one isn’t brilliant, and one of the brake bosses on my forks is a little bit bodged.

I’ve ordered a rear disc brake retro fit mount which I’m waiting to arrive at the moment. Made by tensile it bolts onto the drop out and has a torque bar to the brake boss.

http://www.tensile.net/uploads/8/7/2/4/8724844/s203431135453455303_p4_i1_w1025.jpeg

Has anyone used one of these before – any comments on ease of fitment?

Assuming it fits ok and I can get a disc brake to line up ok (got a 6 bolt disc rear hub) then I’m thinking about getting some Clarks M2’s just because they are so cheap and I don’t need anything special (got guide RS on my fs bike, but they are expensive to buy). Just 160mm discs – and hopefully they will bolt up ok. Got an is mount fork – think it’s either a 98 or 99 Bomber z1 bam. Anyone uses the Clarkes M2’s?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

I used A2Z DM-UNI adapter on my old Peugeot, steel frame.

I shouldn’t be doing it, as they mentioned in fitting instruction, but it was working very fine.

Few pictures here: A2Z DM-UNI

They should be self explanatory.

Whole fitting was a bit of faff but well worthy.

Cheers!
    I.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi,
    Like Ivan, I used the A2Zee one. Bit of filing and faffing needed but seemed to work ok. Try it if plan A fails.

cheers

joebristol

I saw the A2Z one but liked the idea of the torque arm as I’d read if you roll back the A2Z one isn’t that happy. Have you had any problems with that?

My main worry is if my dropout is the right shape etc to fit a bracket to.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Never had any rolling back issues. Even with my a bit dodgy alignment of all the bits and pieces not helped out by not entirely straight rear wheel dropouts.

Cheers!
    I.

joebristol

Cool – if what I’ve ordered doesn’t fit I’ll send it back and try the A2Z one then!

dai3015
    Free Member

Got a set of the Clarks M2’s fitted to the Boardman that I’ve just built up. Really impressed with them to be honest. I wasn’t expecting a lot from them due to be just £34 a pair including rotors and adapters, but to be fair they are really good. Use the cheaper mineral oil as fluid and take shimano pads, come pre bled and are just fit and forget.
    I don’t suppose that they are robust as some of the more expensive lower end shimanos or Srams, but if they last the year out then I’ll consider them an excellent purchase

oliverracing

Used the A2Z one on an old steel/ti frame I had, worked great and still attached to the frame.

I even used the bike to tow a large trailer across europe and that involved a lot of rolling back force with ~40kg bike/trailer combo going up alpine passes (or more stopping on passess). It worked well and think I added a couple of thick tie wraps to stop any movement but it wasn’t a problem without when not towing the trailer

wzzzz
    Free Member

That torque arm looks like a blast from the past copy of the original hope mount!

Looks great, I’d trust it more than the a2z to be honest – you could fit a jubilee clip to stop rearward movement but it doesn’t sound like there will be any.

For bargain discs I’d get Shimano’s best value set for £35, you know they are going to work and will keep working indefinitely:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-SHIMANO-M315-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Set-Front-750mm-and-Rear-1400mm-Left-Rear-/322236873989?hash=item4b06d07d05:g:Xt0AAOSwal5YIcw7

or £42 if you can’t wait for the delivery:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-BR-BL-M315-MTB-Hydraulic-Disc-Brakes-Set-Pre-Bled-Front-and-Rear-/191965596908?hash=item2cb20a8cec:g:DQoAAOSwHoFXsgsD

joebristol

The Shimano option looks interesting – found a pair of those with discs for £50. 3 different disc options so need to check which is need / which is best.

garage-dweller

If you find the torque thing doesn’t work, send me a PM or email.

I am 99% sure I have an a2z gathering dust that I could pop in the post to you. Didn’t fit my bike so someone might as well make use of it.

joebristol

Oh thanks mate, will do if what I have doesn’t fit!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting disc brake to non disc brake mount frame / Clarkes M2?’ is closed to new replies.