Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fitting DHF dual ply tires… help!
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Really struggling to get Minion DHF 2.5 (dual ply / supertacky) tire to my Flow Ex rims.

Am off to BPW next weekend so would like them fitted before then. Failing that, I guess I’ll just drop back to UST 2.35 High Rollers, but I’d prefer the bigger front tire.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

YOU CAN DO IT!

tony07
    Free Member

Wee drop of soapy water helps

qwerty
    Free Member

Microwave them.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Haha! Thanks cfinnimore. Maybe I’ll make it tomorrow… I managed the rear one. Although at the expense of some paint on my rim.

Feel like I need a third hand for this!

mtbtom
    Free Member
    Northwind

Not being funny but, just get the tyre right down properly into the bed of the rim, it should go on fine (tyres do vary but I’ve done 2.5 Minions I think, and I don’t remember any real hassle)

Good levers help. I don’t mean massive levers, the opposite- a skinny lever hook creates room for the tyre to go on.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Yeah, Northwind – I think the problem is the super stiff wire bead, it’s not flexing enough to mate closely with the groove in the centre of the rim.

What tyre levers do you use? I’ve got some of the Park metal DH levers, but am scared about damaging my rim.

Northwind

I use these:
    http://www.highonbikes.com/lezyne-power-lever-mtb-road-bike-tyre-levers-2-pack.html?gclid=CNeo-8agtr4CFWf3wgodhXsAyQ
    Love ’em, I’ve got the Park and Pedros ones that most people recommend but these have a better hook.

cardo

They will fit I run this combo for the Summer Alps trip. Get as much of it on as possible and then get a bit mean with it and really bend and pull the tyre right over the opposite rim towards you. Use the lever to pop the last bit in, then relax sweat a bit and pat yourself on the back with a cuppa

br
    Free Member

Just use tyre levers, Pedros do some big steel ones with soft grip handles.

philjunior
    Free Member

Get most of the bead on then pull the whole bead around and put it into the dip in the rim for as much slack asppossible getting the last bit on. Can be tricky as they are very sticky when new. You shouldn’t need soapy water/tyre levers.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Make sure the tyre bead is in the middle of the rim where the diameter is less then the rim side of errm, the rim.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Ok, cheers guys. Will try all this after work tomorrow when my thumbs straighten out after the last go 😉

coatesy
    Free Member

And start opposite the valve, it allows the bead to sit deeper into the well and thus gives a bit more slack. Push it into the well, and work it in both directions at the same time until it become tight, then go back to the start and repeat and it’ll go on a bit further each time. Get the technique right, and you’ll very rarely need levers.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Leave it in the sun to warm up.

tomaso
    Free Member

2.5 DP Minion went on my flox EX with only mild persuassion. Do squeeze the tyre into the central well of the rim to give yourself an easy time. They are snug but there are worse rim/tyre combinations out there (cough DT and Conitental cough!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fitting DHF dual ply tires… help!’ is closed to new replies.