Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fitting brake pads (on a T5!)
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Hi all – just trying to fit some new brake pads on to my VW T5 (first time, figured it can’t be too much harder than on a bike eh!) – have read that I need a ‘piston wind back tool’ – is that necessary, or can you just force the pistons back in like you do on a bike?

Cheers!

Taff
    Free Member

If it’s the same as a car then you need to wind them back rather than push them in. You can do it with a screw driver which you can locate within the notches on the piston. Not as easy as the tool but an easy task. Just make sure you unseat the rubber boot when winding so you don’t rip it

rkk01
    Free Member

If it’s a VW wont you have to change the cheesey discs as well???

We did on my wife’s Polo

ETA – always pushed calipers back with a very large flat headed screwdriver

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wisepranker
    Free Member

You should only need a wind back tool if you’re doing rear pads. With fronts you can just push the pistons back in with a bar or set of water pump pliers.
    One tip, remove the brake fluid reservoir cap before you push the pistons back in and put a rag round it to soak up excess fluid.

falkirk-mark

Get a haynes manual if only to tell you what way to wind them, iirc one goes clockwise the other anticlockwise (on my Citroen) I wound mine back with a big screwdriver whilst pushing back with a hammershaft

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I have discs as well 🙂 – cheers for the tips. Think the front ones are the worse off, so can do that whilst waiting for the tool for the rears…

wisepranker
    Free Member

If you know someone with a Halfords trade club card, you can get a wind back tool from there for about £15 with their discount.

Both side pistons should wind back in clockwise.

large418
    Free Member

I did this a year or so ago, and replaced the discs whilst I was at it.

Fronts – pistons just push back in and don’t need winding in.
    Rears – pistons need winding back in. I managed it with a G clamp and pipe wrench, just be careful not to damage the dust seal. Took ages though and wasa right faff – if you can get the correct tool then do so – it will save a shedload of hassle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fitting brake pads (on a T5!)’ is closed to new replies.