Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fitting and shortening a Rockshox Reverb hose??
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

This has probably been done before but if I want to shorten a Reverb hose do I really really need the bleed kit?

And do I need a new barb? I’ve read somewhere that if its a 2012 model onwards, you don’t need a new barb? If so how do I tell which year mine is?

At the very least I will need to disconnect the lever to route the hose in my frame internally. Any tips to avoid having to bleed the system??

sandwicheater

Air WILL get in so yes, you will need a bleed kit, sorry.

Did it for the first time a few months ago and it is V easy. Just watch a youtube video first.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

To give an alternative point of view, I’ve shortened two without needing to re-bleed.

creamegg
    Free Member

me too

tonyd

I shortened mine last night and didn’t need to bleed it. Just follow the SRAM tech video on youtube.

simon1975

A couple of the replies didn’t read the OP. If you’re routing the hose internally then I’m sure you’ll need to do a bleed. You could try shoving a plug (barb?) into the cut end whilst you route it and you MIGHT get away with it!

Blueadvocate

My two Reverbs came with bleed kits.
    Check youtube for how to bleed, its quite easy.
    Reverb Shorten

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

I’m envisaging that I’ll thread the hose through, and would then shorten it carely in a manner such to avoid bleeding (i.e. chop the hose beyond the point where any fluid was lost). I managed to shorten some brake hoses once and avoided needing to bleed those.

If the syringes I’ve used for brakes (think it was Shimano ones I last bled months ago now) are clean, can I use these or is there still a chance of remnants of mineral oil contaminating any new fluid?

Or are reverb bleed kits specific?

tonyd

Looking at the tech video and the post itself it looks like the reverb uses the same bleed ports as Avid brakes. These require a little screw in attachment on the end of the hose that comes with the bleed kit.

What do Shimano use these days?

As for the mineral oil, not sure on that. Do you have any IPA? You could try to rinse the syringes and then blow some IPA through to ensure they’re fully clean.

Am I right in assuming the fluid in reverbs is standard Dot 5.1 fluid? Hope so as I have an Avid bleed kit and lots of 5.1 in the garage!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I think the syringes look the same and connection possibly isbut the reverb uses 2.5wt suspension fluid?

The syringes I had got used for avid, then I sold the avids and got shimano. Used the same syringes after a thorough clean with no issues.

Suppose there should be no issues with this also, if I clean thoroughly…

nwill1
    Free Member

Just shortened mine exactly as SRAM vid…now needs a bleed I have no kit…need to phone a friend!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fitting and shortening a Rockshox Reverb hose??’ is closed to new replies.