Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fitting an X1 cassette on a 142mm Pro2 hub
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Hey – I have a brand new Pro2 hub with 142 spacing and the XD driver and a brand new X1 11spd casette.

When I tighten up the cassette, it catches on the silver spacer and then jams the whole thing up – the freehub won’t turn without the axle.

When I take it back apart, you can see some slight scoring where the cassette has dug into the silver spacer.

It’s like I need a spacer on the inside of the cassette or something? As a workstand test, I did try it just torqued enough to spin free, but then the chain rubs on the frame in the smallest cog – it definately is supposed to be more inboard.

anyone got the same setup? any tips?

Cheers

Guy

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Hm – I see that when you buy a separate XD driver, you get a 142 spacer specially for it.. shame that when you buy some hope hoops and an X12 conversion kit (as they come with QR as standard) you get a regular 142 spacer. Think it’s time to get the file out.

njee20
    Free Member

Phone Hope, they’re good on this sort of stuff.

tomhoward

Xx1 on 142×12 pro II on 2 bikes, both work fine (one came built up, t’other was built up by the shop)

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

ha – should have phoned instead of posted here. office hours are 8-5 🙁 Looking at their tech sheet there’s a separate part number for an XD x12 spacer. Not available via wiggle etc as far as I can see.. It can’t need too much filing, and it’s only soft aluminium. should be pretty simple. he says! – it’s dented now anyway, so not like I can take it back.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

As far as the Hope customer service legend here on STW goes, if you call them they will just send you the right spacer for free. I don’t think anyone was suggesting taking them back just because they didn’t have the right one included.

tomhoward

As far as the Hope customer service legend here on STW goes, if you call them they will just send you the right spacer for free. I don’t think anyone was suggesting taking them back just because they didn’t have the right one included

this

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

As far as the Hope customer service legend here on STW goes, if you call them they will just send you the right spacer for free. I don’t think anyone was suggesting taking them back just because they didn’t have the right one included.

I see.. unfortunately I am in France and off on a riding holiday on Sat – so getting the right spacer wasn’t an option at this late stage in the game.

However.. a monumental heath robinson fix has happened – Rigged up a “lathe” a.k.a. a cordless screwdriver – some nuts and bolts and a few rubber washers in place, I could then spin the spacer up against some wet+dry until I shaved ~1mm off the outer diameter. The spacer can fit through the cassette no bother now.

Tightened it all up, and it seems to works a treat.

Proud of that 🙂

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Hope service have indeed offered to send the right part out FOC. However, the only difference is 1mm outer diameter, which I have taken off now anyway. So, just in case anyone else finds themselves with the same issue and looks it up on google – the answer is get the right one from hope, or take 1mm off the diameter yourself – depends how urgent the need is. I’m away on my holidays tomorrow, so the need was urgent.

njee20
    Free Member

Good bodging!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fitting an X1 cassette on a 142mm Pro2 hub’ is closed to new replies.