Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fitting an internally routed dropper – cable slack issues
  • spooky_b329

I’d like to fit a dropper to my new frame, frame has internal cable routing emerging at the BB, and it has a Di2 hole on the seat tube so can take a dropper cable despite not being technically designed for it.

I need to reasonably fuss free method of removing the seatpost as it needs to come out to fit the bike under the bed in my camper.

The usual method of freeing up slack from the bar lever to pull through some outer cable won’t do, partly as I will be doing it fairly often, and also as the inner cable route comes out of the frame, wraps snugly around the BB behind the chainring, and straight back into the frame via the Di2 hole which is tight due to it not being slotted. Lots of fiddling about.

I looked at some cable splitters here, http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_cable.htm but then realised they won’t work as the inner would need disappear into the outer cable as the seatpost is removed.

Any clever ideas? All the bikes I’ve got at the moment need the saddle out to fit in the camper, it was designed this way to give enough space for humans!

joemmo
    Free Member

Dumb question – if you have a qr seatpost clamp and use that to lower the post + compress the dropper as low as it goes is that not enough?

Or use an externally routed post?

noahhowes
    Free Member

Magura wireless?

spooky_b329

No, got to be honest, not even sure if a 29er would fit. Every inch higher under the bed makes it about half an inch shorter at that point of the van!

I’m not set on a dropper, but when I saw the Brand X CX dropper in 27.2mm for £90 I thought it would be rude not to.

I’m afraid the magura is a bit spendy (and its not 27.2mm). I could go for an external routed post, wife has a gravity dropper and it only takes a moment to pull enough slack through the cable guides to get the post out of the frame…but you have to pull through almost all of the spare cable at the bars.

I have a non-remote gravity dropper that I swap between two mountain bikes, but its an ugly old thing to have on a new bike and its fairly sloppy…can’t see any other 27.2mm externally routed posts.

To be honest, at the moment I can’t think of a way of releasing the cable without pushing outer cable into the frame!

Maybe I should just slightly file my brand new frame so the outer runs a bit smoother…hmmmmm

spooky_b329

Sorted…KS Lev E-ten lever actuated post, only £85 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fitting an internally routed dropper – cable slack issues’ is closed to new replies.