Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fitting an electric cooker. I'll probably die, right?
  • ambientcoast
    Free Member

We’re moving house this weekend and there’s no cooker in the house we’re moving to.

However, there is an electric cooker point that currently has a blanking plate on it… and we’ve just ordered a new electric cooker to be delivered next week.

Can I fit it myself, or is this something that really needs to be done by a proper person?

marcus
    Free Member

Its about as difficult as putting a plug on.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You can do it yourself.
    Just turn the correct circuit breaker off first

the-muffin-man

Can I fit it myself, or is this something that really needs to be done by a proper person?

Easy to fit yourself if you’ve done a bit of electrics before.

The only thing to consider is is the cable to the blanking plate up to the job. If it’s an old house, there’s a chance it’s been bodged off an existing power circuit when it should have it’s own supply.

ads678

Some are required to be hard wired in and some you can plug in. Check which yours is and follow what the instructions say.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Ta!

Its about as difficult as putting a plug on.

Aces. Even I can do that.

If it’s an old house, there’s a chance it’s been bodged off an existing power circuit when it should have it’s own supply.

It’s definitely got its own supply, and it’s fed by a cooker control switch further along the wall. I’m assuming all I need to do is connect some cable from the cooker to some terminals behind the blanking plate, but it’s not something I’ve ever had to do before.

Do cookers generally come with cable, or will I need to grab some? Anyone know.

annebr
    Free Member

My oven came with a 3 pin plug on it already

rwamartin
    Free Member

The supply to the cooker outlet is likely to be 6mm FTE (twin and earth) with the circuit protected by a 32 or 40 amp MCB. Maybe a 30amp rewireable fuse if the house is old.
    The cooker may come with a cable but probably not. Ideally it should be wired using suitable flex ie heat and oil resistant. However, in most cases they can be wired using FTE on the basis that they will not be pulled out very frequently. 6mm FTE would be suitable. You could use smaller depending on the MCB rating. 4mm FTE will carry 37amps so as long as the MCB is rated at 32A or less then you’ll be fine.

It’s usually ovens that come with plugs as they generally don’t pull more than 13amps.

Obviously I’m not doing the work so this is guidance only.
    Rich.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Obviously I’m not doing the work so this is guidance only.

Yip. Appreciated.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

So… I didn’t die.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And how’s the cooker?

rwamartin
    Free Member

Good news!

ambientcoast
    Free Member

And how’s the cooker?

The Massaman Curry we’ve just had says it’s pretty damned good.

(I’d still prefer gas though.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fitting an electric cooker. I'll probably die, right?’ is closed to new replies.