Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fitting an Alfine – what exactly do I need ?
  • cranberry
    Free Member

I’m thinking about/pricing up an Alfine 11 speed hub for my Cotic Roadrat which has horizontal dropouts.

What exactly do I need to get it up and running? So far I have:

wheels – http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k638/a89260/alfine-sg-s700-11-
    speed-with-mach1-250-disc-black.html

Shifter, 11 speed right – http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k896/a43844/alfine-gear-shifter-rapidfire-sl-s700-11-speed-right.html

Cranks and bottom bracket – http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k896/a43847/alfine-fc-s500-crankset-black-170mm-39-teeth-with-chain-guard.html

Small parts for horiz. dropouts – http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k896/a73012/alfine-di2-small-parts-set-sm-s705-for-horizontal-dropouts-7r-7l.html

Is that it ? Or have a I missed something. Actually, what is the deal with a chain and cables – what speed chain is reqd and does it use standard shifter cables ?

nixie

You can use any cranks/ring (though a SS ring is better). Shifter uses normal cables, but needs the hub end attachment nut to be transferred from the old one. Chain can be any SS one.

cranberry
    Free Member

thanks for that – it’s cleared a couple of things up that I wasn’t sure about.

annebr
    Free Member

Does the wheel come with the rear sprocket? It’s not mentioned.

What tooth sprocket will affect what front ring to choose. Or vice versa.

spooky_b329

The alfine 8 is designed for a normal 9spd chain, 11 may be the same. You’ll need a gear cable too unless it comes with the shifter.

spooky_b329

Doh

thepodge
    Free Member

You could buy my 8 speed with all fixtures & fittings included

spooky_b329

How much podge. Wheel included?

akeys001

i believe you’ll need a fitting kit (SMS700 alfine 11 fitting kit)

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/shimano-alfine-sms700-alfine-11-speed-hub-components-sgs700-fitting-kit-p-92052.html

and a sprocket (Shimano Alfine Single Sprocket S500) number of teeth dependent on number of teeth on crank…

edit: and just in case you’ll need a centre lock rotor!

Mister-P
    Free Member

You can also use a Nexus sprocket rather than an Alfine one. It gives you more size options.

Akeys is correct on the fitting kit. The small parts kit you list in the OP is for the Di2 Alfine so doesn’t come with the cassette joint unit.

cranberry
    Free Member

Is the Di2 Alfine different then to the “normal” 11-speed ?

Saccades
    Free Member

For my Alfines (8 spd).

1x crank (1x LX octalink, 1x Alfine)
    1x ring (1x 32T SS, plus bashguard to make look neat, 1x 44T Alfine)
    1x sprocket (1x nexus 18t – nexus is dished so you can use to space out the chainline, 1x Alfine 20t)
    1x chain (2x whipperman anti-rust SS 9spd chain)
    1x fitting kit (well 2).
    1x Shifter (2 again), comes with gear cable and end stop.

Di2 is the electric shifting version, lots more money for something I’m not sure is needed, Di2 is good when it auto adjusts the front and rear mech, but on what is effectively a singlespeed I’m not so sure.

Depending on your frame you might need the chain tensioner (I have an EBB on one bike and trackends on the other so no need), a vertical dropout would need a tensioner.

I run my mtb at 32:20 which is about 3rd from lowest up to about top middle on a regular mtb setup, I get up about 95% of stuff I would on the FS, it’s more of a plodder though and you sit in a gear rather than looking for incremental gains.

I run my general hack bike at 44:18 which is a little high for towing duties offroad, but gives me about 28mph at a comfy 80 candence so it’s rare I spinout on the flat.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is the Di2 Alfine different then to the “normal” 11-speed ?

Yes. The cable operated version uses a cassette joint unit to change gear (the big black arm in this picture). The Alfine hub does away with that. You can’t fit a Di2 unit to a non-Di2 hub nor can you fit a normal cable shifter to a Di2 hub.

thepodge
    Free Member

Spooky, I’ll check the spec this eve & post up a price

Its served me well and I love it but looks like my new frame will be 142 rear end

cranberry
    Free Member

You can’t fit a Di2 unit to a non-Di2 hub nor can you fit a normal cable shifter to a Di2 hub.

Aha. That also answers my question whether you can upgrade to electronic shifting at a later date.

Shimano don’t seem to make make this sort of thing easy.

Much has been learned, and a fair bit of frustration has been avoided because of your help – thanks folks.

spooky_b329

Podge, just an idea will be fine, just an impulse option for my wife’s hard tail as it will be needing a full drive train soon.

spooky_b329

Another double post!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fitting an Alfine – what exactly do I need ?’ is closed to new replies.