Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fitting a Thule Backpac to a Bongo with a spoiler…
  • stripeycat
    Free Member

Just picked up a Thule Backpacon Ebay but not quite sure how to attach it to the back of my Bongo – has anyone done this? Should the spoiler be removed for fitting and then replaced? Any tips gratefully received 🙂

Simon

Have a look on Bongo Fury forum.
    Off the top of my head I think you need the 973-18 fitting kit.

stripeycat
    Free Member

Ah! Thank you. I have leaflets for the 973-16 & 973-17. Bongo Fury won’t let me into any secrets w/o coughing up another £13; Thule don’t recognise Mazda Bongo as a vehicle. Looks a bit fiddly to poke the current fittings through the spoiler. Cup of tea I think, a bit more head scratching and a tenuous offering… McScrooge 😕

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    phiiiiil

Ours hasn’t got a spoiler, but the word “hacksaw” comes up a lot in topics regarding how to fit a bike rack on a bongo with a spoiler…

Simon

I think you can view the forum without being a paid up member?
    I’m a bit busy now but I’ll search the forum later and get back to you with more info/pics if you like.

You can fit a 973 without cutting the spoiler.

stripeycat
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂 Spent a few hours fiddling around – taken the spoiler off and got the pads to fit perfectly on the metal frame above the glass but the spoiler won’t sit flush unless the rubber pads are on the glass allowing the plastic section to sit away from the spoiler. 😐 Bit fed up now! Have found an old photo on a (Betty Bongo) blog but can’t quite see how its done! Think I’ll have to track down the 18 adapter and see just how different it is from the 17 kit…

Simon

Try this link.

molgrips
    Free Member

Your Bongo has a spoiler? Wtf?

stripeycat
    Free Member

Simon – thanks for that it’s perfect! Superb photos – ‘just the ticket’! Got the top bracket in a similar position but was concerned about it being on the glass – at least that has been the solution elsewhere. Think we’ll just have to save that concern for another (rainy) day. Completely drenched down here!

Simon

I considered getting a 973 but I don’t really want to have a rack fitted all the time, I just need it for camping holidays and weekends away with the family. So as my Bongo already had a towbar I went with a rack to fit on that. Rest of the time I just put the bikes inside the Bongo as it’s unconverted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a Thule Backpac to a Bongo with a spoiler…’ is closed to new replies.