Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fitting a Thule 591
  • morpethbiker
    Free Member

Just got a new car and ordered with it roof bars and a cycle carrier. When it arrived, it was a boxed Thule 591. My question is fairly simple. Got the roof bars fitted OK, but the cycle carrier needs to have the rear mounting plate (looks like part # 34356) moved for it to fit the roof bars.

It looks as though it should slide along the rack, as I can’t see anything holding it fast, but it won’t budge. Should it just move and it is stiff because it is new, or is there something locking it in place? I can’t see anything in the instruction sheet to say one thing or the other, and any video I’ve seen seem to have them already the right distance apart. The rack is correct for the car I have, as I’ve checked Thule’s site. Am I missing something?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

The rear should slide freely. The front can also be moved, but it needs the allen bolts loosening.

All from memory as I’m away right now and can’t check. However, I’m 99% sure of the above.

Liftman

As above the rear should move freely, it may just need a thump to get it moving

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah it’s kinda stiff but it will slide. Try some WD40?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The components that the wheel sits on with the plastic straps can slide freely along the aluminium track, though can be stiff. The bigger part that actually attaches to the roof bars needs two allen bolts underneath to be loosened to slight that – or even remove it if you want to swap the side that the arm is on. There are also two other bolts that adjust the stiffness of the arm.

morpethbiker
    Free Member

Many thanks for all your replies. It was just stiff, as the plate was a little too close to the bit where the carrier rises. I think it was slightly pinched. Tried WD40 but still no joy. Only when I tried a little brute force and ignorance with a light hammer (only a small tap) did it free.

I only posted as I am new to a roof rack (I’ve only ever had rear door racks before) and didn’t want to damage it by being over zealous before checking.

Thanks again for your time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a Thule 591’ is closed to new replies.