Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • fitting a square taper bb
  • simonlovell999
    Free Member

I have just started fitting a square taper bb and its starting to get tight. I have greased the threads in frame, its a un26, 68mm shell and bb. The non drive side is the plastic adapter

So is this right or wrong

nickc

Should be reasonably tight, just make sure it goes in straight

warpcow
    Free Member

Sounds like when I installed one last night.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Its got very tight and still a few threads left, looks like leave it for bike shop…

warpcow
    Free Member

Is this the drive- or nondrive-side with the threads left? I've always found the plastic bit won't screw in flush to the frame, so I always start with the drive-side; get that flush and then pop in the plastic bit as far as it wil go.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

its the drive side with the threads left and cant undo it or do it up now. threads are staight. the plastic bit fine

simonlovell999
    Free Member

its the drive side with the threads left and cant undo it or do it up now. threads are straight. the plastic bit fine

simonlovell999
    Free Member

bump

shortcut

I always like to get both sides started and a good few turns in (no need for tools) before I start tightening either up! This so that I know I am not cross threading either. Then tighten drive side (will go most of the way with fingers. Then do the plastic bit. This will stick out a bit.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

so when drive side gets tight, how do i do the rest up into the frame

simonlovell999
    Free Member

bump

shortcut

Loosen off the plastic one. Tighent up the drive side. Then tighten in the plastic side until it is tight. There will still be some plastic showing out the side. Don't worry about this.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I have loosen off the plastic adapter and the drive side is still and wont move left or right, still quite a bit of thread left. What to do now

bigyinn
    Free Member

Does the drive side cup have a gap between its shoulder and the BB shell?

IIRC the drive side goes all the way in until there is no gap and then you tighten up the non-drive side until it goes tight.

If in doubt take it to your local bike shop who should be able to chase the BB shell threads.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

there is a gap between the shoulder and bb shell. so looks like bike shop job.

dam, was hoping to do most of the bike at home. well it is a old frame – 1992 gt outpost

rootes1

I always like to get both sides started and a good few turns in (no need for tools) before I start tightening either up!

good idea helps if things are out of line a bit not to fully tighten the drive side until the bb has slipped a bit of the way into the plastic bit.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I cant get the drive side out and the plastic bits comes out of the non drive side. what to do now

warpcow
    Free Member

LBS. Even if you got it out yourself now, it sounds like you're going to need help from them anyway.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘fitting a square taper bb’ is closed to new replies.