Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting a Shade Sail?
  • acjim
    Free Member

Bit random this, but has anyone fitted a shade sail to their house? We’re thinking of doing it but to the walls rather than the normal steel posts.

Bit worried about the prospect of a decent gust of wind pulling the wall down!

cheers.

Stoner
    Free Member

Do you mean like an awning?

Had one fitted to our old flat years ago.

They are hung on very big spreaders and seem pretty stable. Ours was electric and had an autmatic retraction system based on an anenometer on the roof.

acjim
    Free Member

They’re an Aussie invention I think – like an awning but a bit more minimal.
    ala…

richcc
    Free Member

Not one like the pic but we had my father in law’s Phantom Sail used as an awning quite a few times for BBQs – worked really well. Wall still standing

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

id be wary of using a real sail, surely it would only take a slight upwards/downwards air current to turn thewhole thign into a wing and either lift the whole lift up or bring it crashing down?

NZCol

I’ve got one round the back of my house. Is anchored to the house itself and a metal post on the other end. Its a proper shade sail thing with metal eyelets and all that. Its been really good since we put it up 2 years ago – does what its supposed to and has survived Wellington winds, snow, hail, sleet, salt water etc with no worries. They look quite groovy too.

aP
    Free Member

I’d be very wary about what you use to connect it to the house as bricks are rather brittle.

alexpalacefan

Get the manufacturer/installer to take the risk. Have them get a structural engineer to check the wall and OK it. That’s what I would do on a propery I was managing.

A

PS they are really cool things, go for it

A

Expat
    Free Member

Why do you need a shade sail? the UK has clouds that do a much better job 😉

dyna-ti

Why do you need a shade sail? the UK has clouds that do a much better job

Wind too.
    One decent puff of wind and you lose your guttering.

You’ll be gutted then 😉
    Barra-boom ❗

…Hmmm.Yes..i’ve a coat somewhere 😳

NZCol

aP – House is wooden not brick and its on marine grade big gnarly screw things that the builder put into the roof and then sealed – all solid as a rock.

acjim
    Free Member

Cheers – I would get the installers to do it except for the cost – c2.5k for an installed version, £500 DIY.

Will try and find a friendly SE to check it out for me!

Oh, and I live in the Sunny SW – it hit 31deg on my patio last week – phew!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a Shade Sail?’ is closed to new replies.