Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Fitting a pressfit BB92
  • Garry_Lager

Need to put in a new bottom bracket on the whippet and have a new sram gxp bb92 ready to go. Anyone done this with the old Rotherham headset press, ie hammer and block of wood?

I’m not normally one for bodgemeistering headset cups and the like, but it seems that tapping in a plastic bb into a carbon frame would be one of the easier combinations – not too much force needed and next to no risk of deforming the frame. Agree, or is this wrong?

Was also wondering about whether grease was required – I’ve seen it stated for aluminium frames but don’t know about carbon.

iain1775
    Free Member

I did
    First time
    But it quickly became apparent I would be replacing them so often the proper tool would be a worthy investment
    Bought a press from Superstar for the price of a cheap rubber mallet, works a treat, much easier
    You could make one with threaded bar and big washers/cut steel plate but the SS one was almost as cheap as materials would have been

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=566
    (Sure it was cheaper last year)

Garry_Lager

Thks for the link Iain – a press would be nice but need to go homegrown at that price.
    Actually got 2 yrs out of the bb, which sounds unusual given how they’re hated on here, so was hoping for similar with the new one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a pressfit BB92’ is closed to new replies.