Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting a new internal wooden door – How difficult is it?
  • letmetalktomark

We have just moved an opening to our kitchen and as a result need a new door fitting.

We have the door and the frame it will be destined for is new.

We have run out of funds at the moment to get a carpenter in so I thought I might have a go.

I am fairly competent with DIY and understand the basic of fitting the door but I’m guessing I’m after some advice form those that have already tried it.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

take your time. measure twice cut once. an electiric plane is a great help. cheap door – have a go. expensive door – get a pro in

brassneck

Easy – I’ve done my whole house and I’m pretty hopeless

Get 2 carpenter horses on loan if you can to lay the doors on, makes it much easier. Take excess off top and bottom equally or you may blow through what little wood there is.
    Lock block should be marked on the door, hinges go on the other side 🙂
    Lay the doors together (if replacing) to mark up and make sure the hinges are cut out of the right side. I just use a decent sharp chisel rather than one of those stamp tools. Careful you don’t blow the edge off if it’s cheaper moulded panel doors..
    Else it’s just measure twice cut once as usual.

But yeah it’s not difficult just time consuming.

brassneck

Good call on the electric plane TJ actually, forgot that. But again be careful not to chip out at the ends of the stroke, it’s so easy to do

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it just a softwood internal door to be painted white?

llama

Hanging a door is easy enough. Tips: electric plane, little at a time. Sharp chisels. If door is designed for the frame, planing probably not needed.

Frame is more important. Need to get it spot on square or the hanging is more difficult. Use wedges to get it spot on square instead of just screwing it to the wall.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Dead simple if you can use a tape measure, a pencil, a saw, a plane and a hammer.

Just follow THIS guide and you’ll be rite.

Make sure the casing is square and then hanging the door will be a walk in the park.

The hard bit will be filling in round the casing once it’s in to make the walls look good on either side.

I was a relative DIY novice when we moved into our house a few years ago, so far I’ve compelety fitted a new kitchen, bathroom, set of patio doors (after taking a window & wall out) re-plumbed & re-wired the kitchen, fitted new door casings & all the doors in the house, bricked doors up, built new internal walls, tiled, wallpapered, and done a whole new banister. 😀

There’s a cracking book called “DIY Know how with Show How” tells you everything you need to know.

project
    Free Member

Firstly wHAt type of door, a solid pine one, or a pressed hardboard one(hollow), if hollow tap the door at both sides in the middle edge, to find the lock block, this is a block of wood put into the door at manufacture to fix the latch or lock and handles onto, sometimes marked on the top of the door, but always check, now put a piece of tape on the opposite side of the lock block to signify the hinge side, place door against frame,try to visualise the amount of timber you need to take off both sides and top and bottom , if the frame slopesor the floor slopes, they do in a lot of homes.

Use an electric plane, slowly and with about a half mm cut, remember when you put the planner down the cutters will still be moving very fast, always pick the planner up by the handle never the cable, or by putting hand underneath, they will take your fingers off.
    When the door is a goodfit, mark the hinges, remeber the hollow doors only have a thin frame inside, so dont hit the chisel to hard as you may well dislodge the frame as its only glued.
    For hollow doors the frame is secured together with huge staples, that knacker planner blades, when you hit them, so have a spare set of blades, and ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE POWER PLUG WHEN CHANGING BLADES.

wrightyson
    Free Member

The key is in fitting the frame! Get right first time an no planing required leaving you a nice deep lipping in which to chop your hinges! Little tip, draw round your hinges onto the door then cut slightly inside with a new Stanley blade, this helps if you’re a bit new to chisel work and keeps a nice clean edge!

project
    Free Member

Make sure the opening is big enough for the frame.

letmetalktomark

Thank you all for the comments and help.

As far as I am aware the new lining is straight and is square.

Door is a howdens glazed door like this:

Door is to be stained and frame painted.

Hmm. No access to an electric planer just a std manual one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the door is a reasonably expensive one then I would be tempted to get a pro to fit it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a new internal wooden door – How difficult is it?’ is closed to new replies.