Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fitting a new cassette
  • pc2017
    Free Member

Looking for some advice when it comes to fitting a new cassette.

I had a Pro 2 rear hub on my bike which was running an 11 speed M8000 cassette, I managed to get some cheap wheels online (new) which were built on Zee hubs (temp set up) which stated it was 11 speed compatible.

After removing the cassette and slotting it on the Shimano freehub I cant seem to get the lock nut on the top started to tighten it. The cassette is sitting a little proud of this.

Do I need to apply some pressure on the cassette to make sure it is seated correctly or have I got an 11 speed freehub? I thought it would simply slot on and tighten up.

simondbarnes

The M8000 cassette should work fine on that hub (and any* 8/9/10/11speed hub)

*ignoring hubs with an XD driver etc.

theotherjonv

it’s not got a spacer on the hub has it – my Kinesis has a spacer for 9/10 speed that you remove to get the 11 spd one on. It’s just like a thin washer.

pc2017
    Free Member

There was at least two black plastic spacers towards the smaller cogs (around 8-11 speed) if that makes sense?
    Should I remove these?

blader1611
    Free Member

I think the spacers towards the small end of the cassette are meant to be there due to the way the small cogs attach to the rest of the cassette. Is there a spacer on the freehub near the spoke end or stuck at the back of the cassette?

johnnystorm

Don’t the kinesis wheels have the spacer so you can fit ROAD 11 sod cassettes? MTB 11spd are the same dimensions as 10spd. Zee hubs don’t seem likely candidates for including road compatibility.

pc2017
    Free Member

I have just removed the cassette & there is no washer near the spokes.

I can just about get the lock nut started but once you start getting slightly tight it slips and your back to square one. If I had 2-4mm it would be enough to grip it and lock.

Just uploading some pics now..

pc2017
    Free Member
    stevextc
    Free Member

There was at least two black plastic spacers towards the smaller cogs (around 8-11 speed) if that makes sense?
    Should I remove these?

Nope those are for the cog spacing but if its a Zee hub you must have something taking up and extra 1-2mm…. have you completely cleaned the freehub and cassette … just a bit of gunk can be enough..

You could double check all the cogs are fully pushed down…

stevextc
    Free Member

Just seen your photo’s you need to clean that cassette…. degrease then toothbrush and fairy type clean… and I’d guess you didn’t clean and regrease the freehub as well…

pc2017
    Free Member

Thanks. I did clean it last week but maybe not enough so I will do it this weekend.

Freehub is brand new so wont require cleaning but I will apply some more grease in the hope I can get it down a little bit more.

Thanks again

clubby

If the smallest cogs are seperate then you may not have them on correctly. Done this a few times. They will go on but not seat properly, especially the smallest one. Make sure you line up the widest spline/slot properly.

pickle
    Free Member

when you took the cassette off the Hope hub, was there a black spacer left behind?

pc2017
    Free Member

I managed to get it on in the end, basically scraped away some of the crap between the cogs and gently tapped the cassette down with a mallet. The lock nut then went on fine, thanks for the advice 🙂

Step 2 lol – setting the derailleur up, having re-fit the wheel and aligned the H screw on the smallest cog I manually moved the derailleur to the biggest cog (smallest gear) but when adjusting the L screw it wont go out far enough to align with the cog. Have I buggered something up with the cassette?

Sorry for the basic questions, after years of using bike shops for work I have decided I should learn my self. Can be a pain in the arse but it will pay off and is rewarding.

pc2017
    Free Member

Bump

wiggles
    Free Member

You might to adjust the b screw in a bit as the mechanic might be too close to the cassette to move over. Or needs more cable tension

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a new cassette’ is closed to new replies.