Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fitting a mudguard in this – Orange Express-O
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Got this as a frame and fork last year for commuting, only really used it in ok weather but I want to get back to commuting on it and will need to fit full mudguards. The front is ok, loads of room, but the rear is a bit tight. Vitorria Randonneur tyres, 700x35c.

LBS tried some thay had in stock but wouldn’t fit, they were supposed to be for 35mm but they didn’t cover the tyre properly. Only other option is to try Halfords. That’s my only choices here.

So if I get some 42mm guards will they fit or will I not be able to get them between the seat stays? Anyone else had one of these frames?

Only other option is to get a smaller rear tyre 28mm maybe – like to have the width as some of the roads are rough. Why did they make it so narrow for a commuter bike, I could fit a 2in thyre in the forks with room to spare.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Actually thinking about it – does anyone know if I get 35mm mudguards, is that the actual measurement of the guard or does it mean it will fit 35mm tyres with space either side/around the tyre?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

A heat gun is your friend here – just enough to soften the mudguard to get the clearance and wrap round the stays a bit.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

That’s good thinking, I was wondering about cutting around the seat stay bit but maybe try that first?

rOcKeTdOg

Sks pro xl? Up to 32mm

dirtydog
    Free Member

I have some p45 SKS chromoplastics which measure 45mm externally and are suitable for tyres up to 38c, question is have you got 45mm between stays?

P35 measure 35mm externally but are only suitable for tyres up to 32mm.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I would fit 35mm guards and use a little heat gun action to tweak. The guard will still catch 90% of the spray

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Anything you squeeze through the rear stays is going to be too close to the tyre imo.

I would, in order of preference,..
    – Use smaller tyres and p35 mudguards
    – Use existing tyres and don’t run full-length mudguards.
    – Use p45 mudguards but cut them to fit around the stays (fiddly)

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ve seen some that are 42mm so I’ll probably try those and cut a bit out around the seat stays so it (hopefully) won’t catch on the tyre but still stop most of the spray. I’m thinking mabe a soldering iron to shape/cut the plastic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a mudguard in this – Orange Express-O’ is closed to new replies.