Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Fitting a lefty
  • shunter71
    Free Member

Hi

I have got a Cannondale rush 6 2007, which currently has a rockshox Recon fork,
    I have just purchased a carbon Lefty, and I’m having trouble finding out what parts I need to convert the headset to take the lefty.

Is there a complete unit I need to buy, or do I buy Bearings and cups separately and what else will I need.

Where can I get these parts from,

Stuart

glenh
    Free Member

If it's an alu frame (which I think you have) you need the cups and bearings.
    The cups press into the frame as normal and the cartridge bearings press into the cups (no other parts).

You can get bearings from chain reaction, not sure about the cups though. I've got some spare, but I was keeping them to go with my lefty that is for sale…

glenh
    Free Member

Oh, sorry. I've just remembered that there is a top cap for the upper bearing.

To be clear, lefty headset = 2x cups, 2x bearings 1x upper bearing cover/cap.

z1ppy

as per Glen, when he say top cap, it looks like a thick rubber washer?

You should obviously have the lefty with two clamps (in the case of the carbon lefty they are bonded to the lefty, where-as ali one can be removed – which caused me confusion) and the steerer tube.
    Think thats it, though I would recommend getting longer bolts to use on the lefty clamps – one of mine pulled out (crap install?) but has been fine since replacing with a longer (brake) bolt….

Oh and make sure you thread the front brake cable the right way round the steerer, mine has a jink in it, from being folded by the lefty whilst travelling in the car (I assumed it would feed through between the lefty and headtube – wrong).

and maybe a friend to help you juggle everything, as you install it…

pps.. have you got one of the cannondale lefty tool to fit inside your lefty, a 'must have' for every lefty owner… (actually it's not that great as it seems a bit flimsy)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a lefty’ is closed to new replies.