Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fitting a headset with a rubber mallet….
  • Pook

what’s the worst that could happen?

Davesport

It’ll go in on the pi$$ & you’ll have to make another post asking how to remove it 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

you break the mallett
    Done loads this way without issue.
    Depends on your approach it is a bit agricultural and unsophisticated but it does the job perfectly well
    makes sure you hit it square to make sure it goes in square. Usually takes a few hits to get flush. Dont be afraid of a bit of grunt but you are not trying to split logs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

I’ve got it in straight but with about 1mm to go and it won’t budge.

bigbob38
    Free Member

6 pints of strong cider first and you won’t care 😉

Edit: you forgot the cider….

Simon

Hit it harder!

I’ve never fitted a headset with more than a hammer and block of wood.

Northwind

If you’re a total hamfisted knobber you could get it totally squint and damage the frame. But then you could probably do that even with the right tools if you’re enough of a knobber 😉 I got a press just for convenience but did a few with the mallet-and-wood, worked absolutely fine, no different to frame bearings.

I got the press because of getting a head angle reducer headset, which people made a big deal of needing proper tools to fit right. But then it turned out my press wouldn’t work with it so I welted it in with a mallet 😉

takisawa2

Wooden mallet is all I’ve ever used.

thepodge
    Free Member

I got one of mine in with about 1mm left and it wouldn’t budge. I just did it up and went fro a ride with some tools. Checked it every mile or so and it eventually seated its self good and proper.

soobalias
    Free Member

i use the mother of all clamps if it gets sticky.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

It’s not overly expensive to buy a long bolt, nut and two washers. Instant press.

sprocker
    Free Member

I just use a bit of threaded bar, two nuts and washes and 2 bits of 3 inch square wood drilled through the centre, works perfect every time.

Bregante

sprocker – Member
    I just use a bit of threaded bar, two nuts and washes and 2 bits of 3 inch square wood drilled through the centre, works perfect every time.
    POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Ditto. Fitted one for the first time this way last week. Simples

flashes
    Free Member

I did the same a few days ago, exactly the same 1MM showing but after doing everything up a few times, it sealed, although I haven’t had chance to try it yet.

slowrider
    Free Member

Some tralside maintenance tomorrow then chris?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a headset with a rubber mallet….’ is closed to new replies.