Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • fitting a H11 mtb chainset to a roadbike (68mm bb) should you fit all (cont)..
  • kaiser
    Free Member

three spacers on the non drive side?
    my thinking is :
    on a mtb a H 11 chainset normally has a chainline of 50mm

a road triple normally has a chainline of 45mm

so the best way to accomplish this is to fit all the spacers on the non drive side.

comments/suggestions please
    btw ..it's for an unfit friend who is surrounded by huge hills!

alexpalacefan

I've got the road BB shell spacer tube from a Hope BB if that helps?

£4 posted to you sir,

Alex

foxyrider
    Free Member

Have you got enough thread on the driveside cup if you fit 3 spacers – also if you fit 3 spacers on one side and none on the other then you'll be a bit offset but I gues you wouldn't notice that – also if you fit 4 your axle wont be long enough?

kaiser
    Free Member

alex..not needed thanks

Foxy …good point re whether there would be enough thread but it would be on the non driveside if there is a problem

not sure where your 4 spacer idea came from?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh I mean't I you wanted the opposite crank in the same position i.e. 3 on one side and 1 on the other i.e. normally 1 L 2 R 🙂

kaiser
    Free Member

just to update …
    the r/h cup thread is much longer than the l/h and I was reluctant to fit even 2 spacers on the l/h side . Obviously with a mtb chainset and a 68mm bb you have to fit all three spacers somewhere otherwise you can't preload the bearings with the little plastic cap.
    in the end I used a road bb (cups 1mm wider) with a spacer either side (not that it improved the chainline!
    from my exploits I guess a road chainset has a shorter axle …anyone confirm this?
    🙄
    blooming compatability problems !!!

Dibbs
    Free Member

A 68mm shell is a 68mm shell, why not use the spacers in the same way you would on the MTB and see if it works?

kaiser
    Free Member

Dibbs ..it'll work but the chainline won't be very good ..hence my efforts to alter things .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘fitting a H11 mtb chainset to a roadbike (68mm bb) should you fit all (cont)..’ is closed to new replies.