Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fitting a Gigapipe bottom bracket – help!
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hi

I've just removed and regreased a creaking Gigapipe bottom bracket on a Cannondale Prophet. But it doesnt look right now that I've reinstalled it, and the fact the the chain wont shift onto the big ring suggests it isnt seated back in place properly.

There seems to be too big a space between the bearing outer cup and the crank arm. Trouble is, I dont remember exactly what it looked like and how it was seated before I removed it.

Should the drive end of the crank arm be completely flush with the bearings in the shell, or should there be about a 3mm gap?

cheers

theotherjonv

Never done a Truvativ so no direct experience, but extrapolating from RF and Shimano, and considering that the shifting is fecked, I'd suggest that no, it isn't right.

From link:

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2005_gxp-05-r5-e.pdf

have you tightened the other crank arm fully – if so i can't see why you'd have a gap? Theaxle should pull through as the bolt tightens the non-drive arm up against the bearing

UNLESS – idea just came to me – did you remove and reinstall the BB? In which case, have you missed the BB bearing cup spacers out (as 2 of those = 3mm)

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Thw crank arm on the drive side on my road one has a gap but the non drive side sits flush. As above have you missed a spacer?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now. Pretty sure there was only 1 spacer when I removed the BB and Cranks, but I reckon there should be 2 (or none). SRAM site is currently down.

2 spacers would make it all snug, I'll check again.

I have just read some posting about having to take a mallet to the drive side to get everything tight, hopefully that wont be necessary….

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I reckon a 68mm E type bottom bracket needs a spacer on each side, will check with Truvativ / SRAM tomorrow

I think Evans mucked up

cheers

theotherjonv

sorry, realised an error in my post. 2 spacers aren't 3mm, they would make 5mm; each is 2.5mm so might still be the answer.

However – 2 spacers would be unusual. Normal would be

Non drive crank-cup-[BB shell]-spacer-cup-drive crank if your shell is 73mm

or

Non drive crank-cup-spacer-[BB shell]-spacer-spacer-cup-drive crank for a 68mm.

Only mod being if you have an e-type BB it replaces one of the spacers on the drive side.

theotherjonv

Just saw your post – that would be it.

One spacer each side and your e-type and it should all snug up.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks as usual guys

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a Gigapipe bottom bracket – help!’ is closed to new replies.