Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fitting a fork with no SFN/equivalent
  • Northwind

Any clever ideas? Need to get my new carbon-steerer’d fork into the bike for saturday, won’t be the most demanding of rides so it doesn’t have to be perfect… No hole in the bottom of the steerer so can’t just stick a bar through it…

joemc
    Free Member

It’s possible with a roofrack strap or equivalent around the hub and stem. Sit on the bike to settle everything, then tighten the stem bolts. Make sure the strap is as close to the steerer as possible on the stem. Not ideal, but it does work.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I always feel like a big impact will cause the stem to shift and lose bearing preload. Might be incorrect, but it just feels wrong. Nowhere you can get an expander before then?

Northwind

Yeah, that’s the best I can come up with… Could probably lash up something with a couple of parallel threaded bars but it’d be a faff…

I might possibly be able to get my mits on one (or make one) before the weekend but I don’t like rushing stuff 😉

lizzz
    Free Member

You need a SFN? Would having one posted to you help?
    Royal Mail collect/deliver in Scotland tomorrow and Saturday and I have one I could send. email in profile if that’s any use.

scotroutes

No – it’s a carbon steerer….

lizzz
    Free Member

Whoooooosh!

You can’t put a sfn into a carbon steerer? Just thought I’d offer since I have one sitting in the box next to me. 🙂

scotroutes

I have one here too and I live no more than a few minutes away from Northwind. If I thought it’d help I’d have already offered 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Bar end plug and some sort of bodge to provide compression?

Could you rig up something externally like a really big clamp on top of the stem to the bottom of the steerer?

Obviously the correct carbon steerer bung might be available from a shop if you can find one that opens tomorrow.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Sorry, are you just needing a bung? If so, where in Edinburgh are you NW. I have a head doctor kicking about I think which you are welcome to.

scotroutes

I’m trying to remember if I’ve got a Hope Head Doctor kicking around somewhere…. I’ll have a dig around later.

shifter
    Free Member

Pull it tight with cable ties then nip it up.

Northwind

I got a fat bloke to lean on the bars while I tightened the stem 🙂 Not perfect but good enough for now…

But, if I can scrounge or quickly buy a hed doctor or similiar off someone that’d be great tpbiker, you’ve got no email in your profile or I’d email you, would you mind dropping me a line on mine? (if Scotroutes finds his he’s very local to me so might work out better). Cheers folks! Very good of y’all.

(I had the cunning idea of bracing the bars under something with a flat tyre, then pumping the tyre up to add pressure on the bars. Almost disappointed that there was no need for it)

watsontony
    Free Member

Northwind i got a head doctor but i want £1,000,000 for it? but will be hand delivered in the morning 🙂 pay-pal gift will be fine

Northwind

Do you accept gold bricks?

tpbiker
    Free Member

just pinged you a mail

scotroutes

I found it!

I’m heading in to town tomorrow morning. Let me know if you want me to pop by with it.

Northwind

Ah sorry mate! tpbiker has kindly offered to meet me tomorrow with his, I could have saved you looking.

(you’d probably guessed but this is for the Soda, the replacement forks for your Exotics- the new ones are shorter and silly, silly light- going to take a bit of time to trust ’em I think!)

Northwind

The bike that tpbiker built:

IMG_1732 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Cheers mate! Very much appreciated.

The Hed Doctor didn’t fit in the fork! Had to turn it down a wee bit, which may have saved as much as a gram as a side effect

IMG_1728 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a fork with no SFN/equivalent’ is closed to new replies.