Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Fitting a clear glass spashback for the hob to the wall
  • nemesis
    Free Member

The kitchen’s finally finished and I just need to fit a splashback to the wall between the hob and the extract.

Ideally it would be clear glass (so you can see the paint through it) and fixed to the wall without screws.

To that last point, if it’s clear, I can’t use adhesive so how would you attach it? Would silicone around it be sufficient? It will rest on the upstand of the worktop so the silicone/etc wouldn’t actually be bearing load other than stopping it swinging off the wall.

Or do I just bite the bullet and use screws?

TIA

russ295
    Free Member

I fit kitchens and clear glass splashbacks are a pita. there fine on laminate splash backs but on painted walls I hate them with a passion!
    You could siliconethe edges but it will look naff after a while. If you screw it, be prepared to repaint before you finally fix it.
    I use these for splash backs
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi8h6Wv7LbPAhUoJMAKHdrRAG4QFghFMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.premierrange.co.uk%2F&usg=AFQjCNGSST1OzIvaGXJUAWCt9QnRE8OhAw

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I have a company in mind and the wall has just been painted (and is protected temporarily with foil) so no issue there but it sounds like I’d maybe be better off trying to get a colour matched glass and then just using adhesive.

andysredmini
    Free Member

That’s going to look awful whatever way you fix it. If I absolutely had to do it I would look at some type mirror screws but better looking.
    I think you would be better off having a matched or contrasting colour backed splashback and using a mirror adhesive with a low modulus neutral cure.

russ295
    Free Member

I would!

They do a special adhesive for fixing splash backs, it doesnt react with the paint, I wouldnt use silicone to fix it

db

DO NOT get your wife to measure and then get the glass cut and toughened before finding out she told you 101 but meant 110 😐

I went for tiles after that!

wwaswas

We got coloured glass – basically they spray the back. They coudl match any RAL colour. They recommended use Builders Silicone (which is low VOC) as it didn’t interfere with the paint finish and cures slowly so it can be sealed round the edges when fittign without trapping ‘gas’ behind the glass.

We went for a contrasting colour but you can see the sort of finish you get. It’s still good 4 years later.

russ295
    Free Member

“DO NOT get your wife to measure”

you didnt realy need to add the rest 😆

Rubber_Buccaneer

DO NOT get your wife to measure

Your fault, you told her

>—————————-<

was 6″

NZCol

We had a massive clear glass one with wallpaper behind. Utter ballache when we decided t change the wallpaper. It was fixed using big screws with stainless caps. Next time I got a coloured one.

wwaswas

We used this co;

http://glasssplashbacksuk.com/

quick, efficient, answered q’s was impressed with them.

They get them made in bulgaria (they originally started out importing marble kitchen worktops etc from there and branched out).

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks all. As I said, I have a local company who’ll do RAL options so I think I’ll go with that and adhesive rather than screws.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just got a price from Glass Spashbacks – almost double what our local glass makers quoted for the identical thing.

:-O

wzzzz
    Free Member

Just ring a local glass place, every town has one.

Cougar

Hammer and nails?

Can’t you get an opaque one and then admire the paint by turning your head slightly to the left or right?

Spud

We had ours sprayed to our chosen colour, glass suppliers sell the silicon for a couple of £ a tube. Likely getting another one done for behind the sink too.

petrieboy

Why not just paint the back of the glass with whatever you’ve painted the walls with? Don’t know if that would work but worth a bash

martinhutch

The wall colour won’t look exactly the same through safety glass anyhow. You may as well match it to the RAL colour that you want and get it painted. Silicone around the edge will look much uglier.

Rockape63
    Free Member
    Kryton57

We got coloured glass – basically they spray the back.

This.

Our new Kitchen as of July:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Mim4GC]Untitled[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MBX6t6]Untitled[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MzgPow]Untitled[/url]

Kryton57

Also a tip – do not seal under the hob until after the glass was in – lukily we didn’t, as the tolerance for the glass was so tight the hob needed lifting out to get it in top first under the cupboards, then placed by sliding the bottom toward the wall.

pictonroad

I have clear glass behind the job and sink, wasn’t an issue, ordered it with holes pre drilled and fixed with mirror screws. Not sure what everyone is finding difficult, maybe I’m missing something.

Definitely seal around the edges with silicon when it is all clean or bloody spiders will get under it and die, also some grease will get in and run down.

Our other walls above the worktop are actually clear varnished. It works just as well as a splashback, I think I’d just do that next time. It’s way better than tiling.

tthew

Our new Kitchen as of July:

Come on, now let’s see it as of September with crap all over the work surfaces, washing up in the sink, recycling piled up at the back door. 😆

ourmaninthenorth

I can’t wait for our new kitchen. It definitely will not have a clear glass splash back mounted with mirror screws….

pictonroad

Just pin up some copies of the Yorkshire post?

garage-dweller

We have one. It is screwed to the wall with mirror screws.

I wish it was opaque. It needs to come off really for a proper clean and to deal with some minor plaster cracking but it’s an interference fit with the neighbouring cupboards.

Basically get an opaque one.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve done this a few times; just make a template and get toughened glass in the right size then paint the back with the wall paint, two coats, and simply fix it in place with silicon.

Cheaper than that is to use a sheet of Perspex, which you can get from plastics stockists. You can trim it but of course it will scratch over time and a big sheet might not look flat.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a clear glass spashback for the hob to the wall’ is closed to new replies.