Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fitting a cartridge bb..how do i calculate what axle length i need ??
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

i need to replace the non sealed bb in my sons 700c wheeled commuter bike.i will fit a cartridge as a replacement but how do i know what axle length to buy? do i i just measure the old non sealed axle length and get the same?
    what if i had bought a bare frame and chainset seperatly? how do you then know what length you need?

please explain!!

rootes1

measure the old axle length.

for new builds, can be a bit hit and miss depending on compoments and frames.

HTTP404
    Free Member

how do you then know what length you need?

The manufacturer of the cranks should provide you with the correct axle length to buy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    odannyboy
    Free Member

"can be a bit hit and miss depending on compoments and frames"

my LBS told me this or simular and said i would be best to take it there as they had all the sizes and so it was a case of trial and error…

seemed a bit inacurate to me and i thought there must be a more precise way of doing it?

odannyboy
    Free Member

"The manufacturer of the cranks should provide you with the correct axle length to buy."

this is probably true but this is me we are taking about, the tightfisted skint optimist, i havent and prob never will buy NEW cranks!

ctznsmith
    Free Member

What cranks are they?

Is it a single ring or double/triple?

odannyboy
    Free Member

triple.unknown brand (cheapo)

p.s. if i was to remove the granny ring, as he doesnt need it, would/could/should i change the chain line or leave as it was?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

In terms of operation I don't think changing the chainline if you remove the granny ring will make that much difference.

Double's tend to have a shorter bottom bracket axle than triples (Taking Stronglight road chainsets as an example recommended lengths for a double = 107mm, triple = 110mm). So you could measure the old one and then go slightly smaller for a better chainline but there is a risk that your chainset will be too close to the chainstay.

odannyboy
    Free Member

so if i measure the distance from tube to middle ring on the old one i can get an idea of spacing and then work out the length needed for the new one?
    presume the axle sits exactly central and protrudes each side equally (sorry if thats obvious!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a cartridge bb..how do i calculate what axle length i need ??’ is closed to new replies.