Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fitting a bug filter to your helmet.
  • zippykona

The catlike helmet I had my eye on had a bug guard . Unfortunately it didn’t fit so bought a specialized tactic instead.
    No bug guard so any ideas on how to bodge one?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Having had two bee strikes and stings recently, I watch with interest!

A bee sting under the helmet isn’t nice. Fnar, etc.

teethgrinder

Waderider
    Free Member

If your at all cross country orientated a cycling cap under a road helmet is the way to roll. If not (the majority I suspect) I don’t know…..a buff under your helmet could be a good idea? In warm weather wetting either option actually enhancing cooling…..even the sweat from your forehead makes cycling with a cycling cap in warm weather cooler than without. Try it.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I just use a buff,been using one for years.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I got some mesh from a garden centre and used polystyrene glue to glue it in place. It works really well, cost about £2 and took about 5 minutes to do.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m not a dandy boy mincer and so I’m not scared of creepy crawlies. SRSLY?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member
    wiggles
    Free Member

I think MTFU works best as an insect guard

Lester
    Free Member

the cat like leaf only has the bug net at the front, they just fly in the other vents.
    if you dont care about looking stupid, buy some cheap womens hair nets and put them over the helmet.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely it’s better to change the shape of your head to fit the Catlike ? Problem solved

anklebiter101
    Free Member

I used to have a Rudy Project roadie lid that came with a bug net that stuck in with Velcro. May be that their mtb lids come with one too?

devash
    Free Member

Job done.

Kahurangi

But does it stop you crashing when a wasp is attacking your noggin?

The SRSLY and MTFU crew have obviously never experienced this. Presumably they don’t actually ride their bikes.

Superficial
    Free Member

Obviously. If you’re scared, maybe just rise faster than the wasps?

zippykona

When you have a super racing haircut like mine and you can feel an unknown beastie walking over your head it’s not nice.
    Stop being so baldist.
    Barry Sheene used to wear a roll neck jumper under his leathers after a nasty wasp related incident.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m not worried about the wasps I leave behind me. It’s the ones coming in the opposite direction, or pulling out in front of me (wasp-SMIDSY?), that scare me. It’s been a couple of years since it last happened to me, but I still remember it like it was yesterday.

ThePinkster

Bit late to this one but what I’ve done in the past is use aluminium mesh that’s used for reinforcing glass fibre.

Just cut it slightly larger that the vent size then push it in from behind.

Works a treat and stays put without risking any glues that might damage your helmet.

wiggles
    Free Member

But does it stop you crashing when a wasp is attacking your noggin?
    The SRSLY and MTFU crew have obviously never experienced this. Presumably they don’t actually ride their bikes.

Just stop take helmet off get rid of wasp and carry on, no need for crashing. I’ve been stung by plenty of critters and none are pleasant but it is not that bad.

zippykona

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I think I’ve nailed it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a bug filter to your helmet.’ is closed to new replies.