Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fitness/weight loss advice needed
  • velocipede
    Free Member

OK, before I start, yes this is a serious question!

I’m 50 years old and some 30 years ago was an elite level road racer. I’ve never stopped cycling although somewhere in that 30 year period I managed to pick up some responsibilities, kids, etc, as well as a bit of timber.

In the past 4-5 years I’ve managed to get much fitter – no alcohol for 10 years, try to eat healthily and get somewhere between 80 and 150 miles a week in on the bike (either road or mtb, usually weather dependent).

The past two years, I’ve been getting a bit more competitive, riding a few sportive and have gone as far as the odd TLI road race.

I’m plenty fit and fast enough – 19-20 mph average road pace on a 70-80 mile ride is fine and even have a few Strava KOM’s under my belt (threw that in for the Strava haters!)

Problem is this:

I’m still carrying just a bit too much timber, all concentrated around the waist. I’m in pretty good shape (for a 50 yr old, I suppose), around 5’10”, 34″ inch waist, just under 13st but could do with losing one last stone of weight; all from around my belly/love handles!!

Now, without saying ride more and eat less, what’s my best route to getting rid of this last bit – any specific workouts/exercises I should add into my routine??

Doesn’t seem to matter how “fit” or “fast” I’m getting – can’t get rid of this last bit of added encumbrance so all help gratefully received!!!!

Tiger6791

iDave will be along in just a minute

nope

nope

That was 3 years ago….

skids
    Free Member

liposuction

dyls

Myfitnesspal. Helped me loose 2st.

I find it easier to loose weight without excercising, as excersising always makes me hungry.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

HIIT sessions. Do a search on YouTube. I punch a heavy bag, swing kettlebells, On the bike, high-intensity means hill climbs and sprints. You need to get your biggest muscle groups (ie quads, glutes) firing like mad until failure. Then rest for a few minutes and do it again. This will promote testosterone production, and ensure your muscles continue to burn large amounts of calories even when you rest or sleep.

Diet: Ensure you get 1g per kg of body weight of protein per day. Get your energy from fats. Low GI carbs only. No baked goods, no beer, no white pasta.

Sleep: Get your 8 hours.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Myfitnesspal. Helped me loose 2st.

Yep – good call

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Bloody hell @ op ! Your moaning about nothing really tbh.

I won’t tell you how young and how much I weigh then! It’d be enough to give yoh a heart arrest!

matts
    Free Member

Working out how many calories you consume, then planning how to eat less calorie-dense foods at regular times through the day is key.

Something like Myfitnesspal may make it easier, but just writing down what you eat can be enlightening. Did I really eat 10 Mars bars this week?*

Not eating enough food for a century every day, when you only ride once a week is also another biggy.

If you only have limited training time, very high intensity intervals can have an effect on your metabolism for longer after a workout than lower intensity workouts.

* No.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Depends on what you eat really. Not all calories and fats are equal.
    Saying you eat healthy, what do you call healthy and how big the portion size and how often do you eat
    Also counts

jkomo

Core work does wonders to improve the mid section, you’ll lose an inch or two, don’t worry about weight or fitness, that sounds pretty good to say the least.

smurf
    Free Member

I work for a business called FitnessGenes. Get in touch via our email address and mention STW and I’ll hook you up with one of our trainers.

ctk
    Free Member

Circuit training.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Train at eating less, you will get better at it. Intervals aren’t so good, it needs to be endurance eating less.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fitness/weight loss advice needed’ is closed to new replies.