Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fitness testing, the numbers for those of a scientific nature
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

So as part of my training plan today was marked in for fitness testing, or sweating like a pig on cycle machine whilst someone stuck needles in me.

I decided that I’d like to know my baseline fitness levels partly to confirm which heart rate zones I should be training in, and partly so I can conduct the test again in a few months and know for sure if my training plan is working.

And the cunning bit is that I can claim the cost of the test back against my yearly “sports” allowance from my company.

Anyway I cycled away happily at 80 watts and every 180 seconds the machine increased the load by 40 watts, and after 23 odd minutes I died a death and gave up.

Amongst the many things I found out was the following, my aerobic threshold is 162bpm at 250 watts or more interestingly 3.35 watts/kg of body weight. Somewhat off from the 5.8 to 6.2 range of Tour riders. With a peak at 350 watts and a max pulse of 179.

I now need to adjust my training zones as before I was using 174 as my max pulse.

Train hard and according to plan and wait 3 months and test again.

To be continued….

RealMan
    Free Member

a max pulse of 179.

I now need to adjust my training zones as before I was using 174 as my max pulse.

Sarcasm?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Actually in all seriousness although I can see how easy it would be to think the opposite 😯

trickydisco
    Free Member

Very similar to mine i had done in december

I came out at 3.32 watts per kg. Was 75kg then.. now 73

So did they say what your base fitness was like?

EDIT: Oops.. Sorry it was 3.2watts per kg

My 3.2 watts/kg figure is based on functional threshold which is less than actual threshold

coffeeking
    Free Member

179 vs 174, how much does that shift your training zones by exactly?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

179 vs 174, how much does that shift your training zones by exactly?

Quite a bit as it turns out 😮
    Max 174 179
    95% 165 170
    91% 158 163
    84% 146 150
    82% 143 147
    75% 131 134
    72% 125 129
    65% 113 116

mrblobby
    Free Member

Where did you get it done and how much was it?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I live in Sweden so maybe not that much use to you, but quite a few places in the UK provide the same service. I paid just under a hundred quid for that test, and some other blood tests. Overall it took 90 minutes including consultation time.

Well worth it in my books.

fontmoss
    Free Member

hmmm maybe i can ask the sports science bods if they want a guinea pig then see how 3 months of tri (not) training affects my figures

trickydisco
    Free Member

I got mine done in Bristol

http://www.truezone.co.uk/Home.html

trickydisco
    Free Member

What came out of mine is I need my percentage of energy from fat at aerobic base point to be bigger and to increase my functional threshold power to over 4 watts per kg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fitness testing, the numbers for those of a scientific nature’ is closed to new replies.