Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fitness / Recovery question
  • pypdjl
    Free Member

Hello STW, a quick question

My commute is 12 miles and somewhat hilly (250m climbing).
    On monday morning I rode in steadily then beasted myself on the way home.
    On tuesday I rode in quite hard, but for the ride home my legs felt pretty dead.
    e.g. there is a 3.6 mile mostly uphill segment that I was attempting to ride as hard as possible.
    On this segment on monday avg/max HR was 155/168, 17.9 mph avg speed
    vs tuesday 125/140 14.9mph. I couldn’t get my heart rate above 140, breathing seemed fine.

Does this just sound like the effects of riding multiple days with insufficent recovery/fuelling, or am I coming down with cholera or something…

fifeandy
    Free Member

That looks a much bigger discrepancy than i’d expect to see just from poor recovery over a 2 day period. More like the kind of thing you find when you’ve totally overcooked it for a prolonged period (like hilly 100 milers ridden in a ‘spirited’ manner every day for a week).

globalti
    Free Member

The improvement in CV and muscle power happens during the periods of rest, between the efforts. If you don’t rest your body you won’t see much improvement.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    digger95
    Free Member

Warm downs are overlooked, I find a few lunges and squats immediately after a hard ride do a lot to make the legs fresher for the next day.
    Your stats sound more like energy system issue though. Feel a bit ropey on Tuesday? A donut and a banana before you set off on day 2 could make a big difference.

jonba
    Free Member

Quite clearly you need to be drinking electrolyte drinks while riding and a recovery shake as soon as you finish 😉

Depends on how fit you are to start but unable to reach max heart rate is a sign of fatigue.

Simply taking it easy should be enough, I rarely take a day off the bike but some days I don’t put much effort in at all. Normally alternate hard riding days but that is more a factor in not having time to do more than dedicated recovery.

Other things can affect your ride – I know my commute varies depending on wind, how much sleep I’ve had, what type of day I’ve had, bike condition (rusty chain and half flat tyres), food.

Aristotle
    Free Member

As above:

Weather conditions, tiredness, fitness/conditioning or a lack of food. The heart-rate seems very low on the second day.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, yes I found it a much bigger drop off than I was expecting!
    I didn’t gt much sleep on monday night, so that coupled with not much food on tuesday might be the most plausible explanation.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Also, if you’re able to do nearly 18mph on it, it’s not a hill.

pypdjl
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was a hill, just that it is mostly uphill!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fitness / Recovery question’ is closed to new replies.