Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fitness at work
  • Irish_AL
    Free Member

does anyones employer offer fitness sessions at work and incentives to be more active? if so what do they offer and when do these sesions take place?

gusamc
    Free Member

Free gym in basement.
    (Well £5 one off join)
    Small, basic but good kit, (2 rowing, lots free weights, weight machine, 2 bikes, climber etc)
    A true bargain.

Flaperon

If I don't run my shift takes 10 hours. If I do, I can be done in just under 9. I suppose that you could argue that the fitness sessions are actually deducted from my pay since I'm paid by the hour. 🙂

Irish_AL
    Free Member

lets put it another way if your employer asked you to take part in some form of fitness activity and was prepared to fund it and include they some sort of benefit either on a weekly/ monthly or yearly basis what would be your suggestions?

0091paddy
    Free Member

Shame, thought this thread would relate to 'fitness' at work.

firestarter
    Free Member

we have a gym and have to do pt everyday perks of the job lol 🙂 i get an extra two percent pay for being the pti . Bonus . We just have to pass two tests a year or we get taken off the fire engine and you lose about a grand off your salary. its a new idea to stop us gettin fat lol but i like it 🙂

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Not quite the same, but I use a Swiss ball instead of a chair at my desk. Good for the posture and allows me to do various exercises through the day.

carlphillips
    Free Member

dont you mean a space hopper rich..?
    or one of those special ones with the willie attached!!!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I've got the use of a prison gym, which is obviously a pretty good one!
    (never used it in 6 years)

bruneep

Condition of employment that we keep "fit" Have a gym and have an hr planned into work routine a day to use it. How you use it is up to you.

Surfr
    Free Member

Reduced membership to the university sports facilities centre (next door) and cyclescheme, lockers and showers at work.

Strangelove
    Free Member

Free access to 500+ gyms throughout Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Haven't been since April.
    We do have cycle to work, lockers, showers etc. and there are irregular group bonding personal trainer sessions at the gym.
    We also had a 'Wellness at Work' day recently. This involved having our weight, blood pressure, heart rate and BMI measured with the idea of it being a monthly event and we can see improvements (or not).

I work for the UK's biggest public transport company.
    Other than passing a medical examination when starting with them, and another one every five years to retain my HGV/PSV licence, no.

beej

On site gym run by Nuffield Health – £18 a month. About 8 treadmills, 5 concept II rowers, 12 bikes, 6 cross trainers, full set of weights machines, free weights. Two studios, one set up for spin classes (about 15 bikes), one doing body pump/balance/attack/combat/core training etc.

Free health assessments (BP, weight, body composition, cholesterol etc).

On site physio, sports massage, beauty therapist (so I've been told).

Showers in each office building (seven of them on the site).

Covered bike parking.

"Green incentive" of £85 a month if you don't have a car parking space.

Ride to work scheme.

Um…. I think that's it. Good facilities, but no specific incentive to use any of them.

davesmum
    Free Member

We have a 'fat board', which lists each person against their body fat percentage, split into groups of obese, normal, etc….

trail_rat
    Free Member

indoor secure bike storage (only accesable with staff RFID card)

Showers , lockers

Onsite gym in 2 of our offices and access the gym at the hilton and another in town both with swimming pools.

5 quid a month for the use of.

no actual incentive to use it though – quite funny people in the canteen moan about the time it takes to get to work – takes an hour in the car to travel 4 miles for me (only did it on the first day as facilitys unknown)so can only imagine what it takes – how many folk make use of the cycling facilitys provided – me and 1 other !

samuri
    Free Member

The staff at our place built their own social club with a gym, changing rooms and showers. It's actually pretty good and they used to charge people to use them but now it's free. Great for cycling in.

The mens changing room is the most macho place on earth though. The walls are all covered with pictures of girls with their norks out and motorbikes. There's loads magazines for proper manly sports like rock climbing, boxing and wolf wrestling and it just reeks of testosterone.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Similar to my place. Out of curiosity I tried the ladies changing rooms once, but found all the pictures of me on the wall a bit disconcerting.

brakes
    Free Member

sometimes I walk to the printer, but unfortunately it's next to the cake table

notlocal
    Free Member

I work for the Ambulance Service, a Special Health Board of NHS Scotland.

We get no facilities to do PT, and no incentives to either. It sometimes puzzles me why we have to pass a fitness test to join the service, but there is no requirement to maintain that fitness.

The nature of the job means we get down time whilst waiting on station for a call to come in. I doubt however if the Infection control teams would be happy for us to attend patients after exercising in our uniform.

Needless to say, there are some extremely unfit people working within the service I work for (future MI candidates). 🙄 It sounds like our brethren the water fairies (Fire Brigade) have the correct attitude.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fitness at work’ is closed to new replies.