Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fit for purpose advice please – Debenhams sofa content.
  • matt_outandabout

In September 2012 we ordered two sofas from Debenhams, delivered end October.

After a year, one developed a sag, which after one cursory glance by suppliers repair man was deemed as ‘fine’. It took 8months of arguing before repair man no.2 agreed It wasn’t right, openened it up and found a twisted frame/incorrectly built issue. He straightened the part and added more screws. Sofa fixed.

Fast forward a year and over the last week, all the spring end mounts have snapped (that were attached to the twisted part). They are sticking out the bottom, and sofa is sinking again, about to collapse.

We are now out of two year warranty, and Debenhams do not want to know. My issue is that the damage now seems related to the issue before – possibly caused by improperly fitted frame.

It is also daft that we paid £1000 for a pair of sofas, one of which is ‘dead’ in just over three years….

What are my rights?

Sandwich

6 years for whatever replaced SOGA for large ticket purchases. Money saving expert is your friend here and the fact that a manufacturing fault was admitted by repair man 2 inside the warranty period should see you home and dry.

thecaptain
    Free Member

^what he said. Kick up a stink.

Cougar

6 years for whatever replaced SOGA

Consumer Rights Act. Is it reasonable for a £1000 pair of sofas to last longer than two years? I’d argue so.

Harry_the_Spider

Had a similar issue with IKEA many moons ago. Sofa collapsed. Replacement sofa collapsed. Moaned at them so much that I got my money back.

scotroutes

Is it now at the point where the customer has to prove fault rather than the retailer prove no fault?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is it now at the point where the customer has to prove fault rather than the retailer prove no fault?

Think he’s done that!

crankboy
    Free Member

Customer brining the claim needs to prove the claim but on the balance of probabilities. “I bought a sofa it sags” seems proof of a fault . “Your own man said it was faulty” seems really good proof of a fault .
    Debenhams will say your kids jumped on it you will say did you see them or are you speculating and anyway its a sofa that cost a fair wedge you would expect it to be used by a normal family not kept in a glass case behind a rope cordon . The district judge in the small claims court will be a a mid forties dad or mum on a reasonable but not massive wage who will say if I spent that much on a sofa I would expect it to stand up go more than a couple of years of normal use.
    So keep complaining and if no joy small claims.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fit for purpose advice please – Debenhams sofa content.’ is closed to new replies.