• This topic has 36 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ton.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Fit, athletic types, do you have low blood pressure?
  • Bunnyhop

The nurse says I have low blood pressure which made me giggle, stating that it’s maybe because I’m an mtber and therefore very fit.
    I’m fit for my age but not fit as in athletic or sporty fit.

Any proper sporty, really fit, athletic people here have lbp?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I do, and I’m well buff! 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

yes

hp_source

Yup, been told this in the past… again ‘fit’ rather than athletic 😉

mcboo
    Free Member

Someone who really knows what they are talking about will be along in a minute but FWIW, I think genetics play a part. At 22 my blood pressure was abnormally low to the extent I almost got kicked out of the Army. 40 now, still fit, its low/normal. Never had a brilliant diet but always exercised. In the meantime had spontaniously collapsing lungs and asthma attacks but still here.

Very low cholestoral (not through lack of efforts to get that higher) which may or may not be correlated to blood pressure, couldnt tell you.

crazy-legs

No, mine has always been spot on what they say is the “average” (120/80). Resting HR is somewhere in the low-mid 50’s for me.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Interestingly, or not, Mrs Naranjada had a bout of very low blood presure (90/54 iirc) last week and it wiped her out so much that she didn’t think it safe to drive home from the train station without sleeping for 40 mins in the car first.

Apparently it’s generally considered to be a good thing as it is a sign of physical fitness, but it can have -ve physical effects too. If it’s a problem then you should make sure that you keep hydrated to maximise your blood volume and make sure you have enough sodium in your diet.

Beer and s+v crisps?

float
    Free Member

yup, ive also got good lung strength (or whatever the proper name for it is). had to do a medical thing to join the OTC where you blow into a tube and it measures how hard you blow. the guy said they usually do two readings but he felt he didnt have to with me *smug*. i failed the medical though, im colourblind 🙁

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

+1 for low blood pressure here too.

Bunnyhop

Mmmm all very interesting.

Mrs Naranjada had a bout of very low blood presure (90/54 iirc) last week and it wiped her out so much

. Yes the nurse did ask if I’d had dizzy spells.

Hope she’s o.k now.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Hope she’s o.k now.

Yes. she’s OK thanks.

She recovered v.quickly from her dizzy bout after drinking lots and eating a meal.

aracer
    Free Member

ive also got good lung strength

Not sure that’s at all fitness related – I do a test every year and my results are fairly mediocre. They also don’t appear to change significantly with my fitness level.

warton
    Free Member

I have dizzy spells every now and again, last time I had my BP checked it was normal, rather than low, but have increased my fitness significantly since. does keeping hydrated help the dizzy spells?

meehaja
    Free Member

mines low. I’m not fit per se, but I can ride a bike slowly for hours and hours.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Nope.
    I’m 5’8″, 10 stone with 13% BF, and a resting HR of 53BPM, but my blood pressure is currently running at 159/89! 🙄

I’ve got slightly high blood pressure.
    Considering the general advice is to cut down on salt, alcohol, fags and red meat and do more exercise, and that I am a straightedge vegan who rarely eats processed food* and who cycles 600km a month and does a manual job, I don’t let it bother me.

*The only significant exception is bread. I eat a lot of it and it’s got a high salt content, but I reckon I sweat most of it back out again on the bike.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Blood pressure fine though I have been asked in the past do I exercise about my heart rate when thats been took.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not particularly fit or athletic but I do have low BOP – so much that I do faint when standing up and have the scars to prove it – altho I have now trained myself to get up slowly to try to avoid this

jam-bo

altho I have now trained myself to get up slowly to try to avoid this

that’s normally called getting old… 😉

fatmax

had a medical a few years back when i was fit enough to be doing half ironman triathlons, and it was noted that i had ‘lower than normal’ blood pressure..

crazy-legs

Actually, having said that my BP is “normal”, my Mum has a history of high blood pressure so perhaps my BP is low due to fitness (or whatever) but hereditary conditions have pushed it high and 120/80 is actually high for me…

I’ve never worried about it anyway, I think it’s one of those things that can be affected by a lot of factors.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yes

bellerophon
    Free Member

Nope, bang on average for me 120/80; some would say I’m fit, but I’m not anywhere near as fit as I should\want to be, resting heart rate though is 40, but maybe genetics has more to do with that…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m like NikNak. Its a bit high, even at rest. Moderately good, low salt diet. Averagely fit, Low 50’s resting HR.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Low blood pressure for me. As someone said above I too get a bit dizzy when I stand up to quickly. Resting heart rate was 45bpm this morning..

thegreatape
    Free Member

Someone who really knows what they are talking about will be along in a minute

That’s very optimistic.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Not sure what mine is but i get dizzy sometimes if i get up too fast.. or if i get out of hot bath. Resting HR :38

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not particularly fit or athletic but I do have low BOP – so much that I do faint when standing up and have the scars to prove it – altho I have now trained myself to get up slowly to try to avoid this

Same here. I can catch myself before I pass out… and bend at the waist and whip my head back which blasts enough blood into my brain to avoid fainting. 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

Spot on here. Thought I had a very high heart rate, until I realised that resting wasn’t stopping for a few seconds to take it mid job. So it’s not in the 70s it’s 48 – 53 on average.

51 Years old, 3/4 stone over weight. All other bloods etc ace.

My wife has low BP and sometimes stumbles across the room when she gets up.

toby1

Hah, you are asking in the wrong place remember, everyone on here is overweight and works in IT (just refer to urban dictionary if you haven’t seen that entry :P)

Personally I’m overweight and work in IT, but when I’ve been training lots I can have some great dizzy spells getting up off the sofa after a period of inactivity. So I’d imagine actual fit people suffer far more from it.

Keva
    Free Member

yup, I’ve been asked before whether I’m feeling ok when it’s been taken. Resting heart rate is usually around 40.

Kev

PePPeR

I’m clinically obese, yet have low blood pressure a resting heart rate of around 40 and when doing a heart test a few months ago, as I’ve been having pains in my arms etc, I maxed out the hospitals testing machine. But of course I’m still Obese 😉

totalshell

at 27 my Bp was 100/60 and rhr 43, at 48 my bp is now 135/90 (with med’s) and rhr is 60.
    i’ve had two heart attacks and a stroke and had an artifical valve fitted 12 years ago, i weigh 12.5 stone.

if your hr or bp is significantly above or below the average over a period of time then it should be investigated.
    low blood pressure and or low resting rates are NOT indicators of ‘good health’ and or fitness and should be investigated.

ton

i have a pretty low bp at present.
    caused by industrial sized portions of beta blockers………. 😉

Bunnyhop

How are you Ton?
    Keep your spirits up old friend.

ton

i am not bad love.
    thanks for asking.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Fit, athletic types, do you have low blood pressure?’ is closed to new replies.