Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fish/seafood curry recipes please.
  • duckman

My turn to cook for my piscatarian friends, I do a good Thai prawn green curry,but they get it every time they come up. I have tried a couple of recipes with white fish,but it has never really worked.

mogrim

Not a fish eater, but some of Rick Stein’s India stuff is on youtube and could be worth checking out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cook onion, peppers, carrots, broccoli, peas and sweetcorn in a saucepan with cumin seeds.

Buy some of those blocks of coley you get frozen in the supermarket, add one per person (cook in microwave, break up in pan with veg).

Add a big dollop or two of Patak’s curry paste (any variety probably OK).

The fish will disintegrate into small bits, but it still looks and tastes v good.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not a recipe, but had a fantastic sea bream in this place http://thechillipickle.com/restaurant/

Just a whole bream on citrus leaves and a simple masala.

Gorgeous.

chvck
    Free Member

I don’t have a recipe but I like monk fish in a curry, seems to hold together quite well too.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Xitt Codi – what we call it in Goa

6 Kashmiri Chillies
    1/2 Scraped Coconut
    A Small Piece of Ginger
    3 Flakes Garlic
    5 – 6 Pepper Corns
    1 Tea spoon Corriander seeds
    A Pinch of Methi Seeds (fenugreek)
    Small ball of Tamarind if a raw Mango is not used
    1/2 Tea spoon Haldi Powder (turmeric)
    1/2 Tea spoon Jeera (cumin)
    1 Green Chilli
    Salt

1 Decent Sized Pomfret (You can also add Kingfish or Halwa) or a firm fish
    1 Raw Mango

Slice, clean and salt the fish and keep the fish aside.

Grind the masala ingredients mentioned above, in a mixer with a little water.
    Add it in your cooking dish and add some more water, now there are two optional things depending on how rich and heavy you want your Xitt codi. The first one is you can bagaar (fry) some chopped onions before you add the masala to it.
    Add coconut milk to make it rich, or add water – to make it thick enough as per choice (coconut for thicker plus it imparts a nice flavour) You can then add some salt and slit the green chilly, remove seeds as per spice requirement.

Once the entire mixture reaches a boil you can add the fish to the curry
    Along with the fish add the cut pieces of raw mango, to give it that nice tangy flavor that it has.

lunge

I use this one:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2150645/fishermans-curry
    You an play with the kind of fish and volume of ingredients but it’s a good start point.

CheesybeanZ

had a fantastic Sri lankan fish curry with a pineapple side dish nomnomnom

sweepy
    Free Member

I use river cobbler in curry, holds together and cheap.

aP
    Free Member

Anjum Anand has some good fish recipes, prepared from scratch – all quite straightforwards though, as long as you don’t stir the fish once it’s in itherwise you’ll end up with fish stew..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Studentunapea Curry

2 cans tuna in oil
    1 dessert spoon supermarket curry powder (any blend will do, I prefer ‘masala’ for this, if you like more heat add chilli flakes)
    2 mdn chopped onions
    2 handfuls of frozen peas

Method:

Drop tuna w/oil and onions in a pan in and sautee for 10 mins stirring often
    add curry powder
    add peas

Cook for further 5 mins.

Scoff as is or with rice.

Believe me this tastes awesome, but probably belongs in another recent recipe discovery thread when you hunt and gather in the cupboard and then create something that sounds odd but tastes great.

CheesybeanZ
    cheekyboy
    Free Member

The other week for our payday weekend epicurean treat I made some salt and pepper fish, I don’t claim to be the sole inventor but it was very nice and the kids snaffled the majority.

Fresh cod
    Garlic salt
    chilli flakes
    Olive oil
    squeeze of lemon juice.

Will be trying something similar with tempura batter soon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fish/seafood curry recipes please.’ is closed to new replies.