Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • fishing types… travel rod??
  • daftvader
    Free Member

afternoon…
    which travel rod should i be taking on holiday? we will be off to cuba so the chance of something quite large but mostly i will be lure fishing from the shore.
    i have found some good deals out there for shimano rods but also have found a couple of multi-purpose rods that are shore and boat rods! its almost as much a minefield as bikes!!
    Help!!!
    cheers

sharkbait
    Free Member

I can’t help vader but seeing as we’ve just got a boat I’m now on the hunt for some cheap/used spinning kit and a boat rod for feathering! I’m not a fan of the telescopic rods but I guess you don’t have much choice in the matter!

Good luck with your search.

daftvader
    Free Member

For what you want I’d say a 6/12 lb boat rod and a short 6-8 foot spinning rod…

somafunk

Sharkbait : I have a practically unused shimano perfection 10ft spinning road and a shimano bait runner reel plus a decent box/amount of spinning lures etc – would you be interested?.

I bought them years ago as i used to fish just about every day as a kid but nowadays i can’t bring myself to hook fish (yeah i know…mtfu and all that but being a vegi for the past 25 odd years it was never going to happen)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Maybe Somafunk – any idea what sort of weight it can cast?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

savage gear roadrunner in 20g to 80g would be fine,but if you think you might catch something larger,

then the bison multi purpose, multi tip boat rod 6 to 8 ft will be more than enough rod

mushrooms
    Free Member

I wanted a rod I could fit in my larger camelbak and use for shore lure fishing and found this,

http://www.fishingmad.co.uk/9806-shakespeare-expedition-xt-travel-spinning-rod-7-8-9-rod=9-6pc-15-60g.html

I use 10-12lb mono line with 30-40g lures and a cheap shimano reel and it’s great.

I also have a heavier duty bass rod but find lure fishing with a lighter rod and reel much easier and less tiring.

somafunk

I’ll check later and get back to you, I “think” it’s 18-28g but i may be wrong

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cheers SF. Email [in profile] would be best I think. 10′ may be an issue as the rods will be kept on the racks on the boat and it may be a little long.

For what you want I’d say a 6/12 lb boat rod and a short 6-8 foot spinning rod…

Yep, already got a 7′ spinning rod but also looking for something a bit longer that can cast a bit more weight. Bass are the target.
    My thoughts are that almost anything 6-7′ long and capable of holding a reel will do for the boat rod!

daftvader
    Free Member

i guess sharkbait it all depends how much you want to spend!!!! have a look at some of the uptide rods.. they are good all round.
    thanks for the suggestions on the bison and shakespeare… am looking for something that will happily cast both light and heavy lures…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I bought a shimano exage kit a few years back, 7’tele rod and Wee folding reel. Fits inside my 10L camelbak and I’ve had a few wild brownies on it, great wee rod for the money.

daftvader
    Free Member

no beer… that’d be great for riding to Winchester with (free stretch of the Itchen) but probably not much cop in Cuba with a barracuda on the end!!!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Get a stout 9ft spin or 9ft light allround boat rod, it’ll cover everything and a longer rod is much better on a boat than a 6-7ft one

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry, not really recommending it for that DV, just felt the need to get in on the fishin chat!

daftvader
    Free Member

lol! this was one of the last catches from the itchen… [/url]DSC_0780 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lovely, ye can keep yer salmon, carp, bass etc a wild brownie is a joy.

daftvader
    Free Member

yup… fought like a bastid! had some good greyling that day as well. had a proper “one that got away” too. straightened a size 12 barbel hook! may get a cheap fly rod for the summer

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve not angled for a few years, tended to hit the cliff marks for cod or summer boat trips for big fish, may well give it a go again soon, it just takes up so much time!

somafunk

emailed you sharkbait

callmetc
    Free Member

If your after a travel rod get a dip furba 210 from go outdoors.

I use that rod with a small 1000 size reel for lure fishing.

Packs away to about 30cm.

Great rod. I regularly take my fishing gear when I go out on the mtb as it all can fit in my pack with room to spare.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I have a secret desire to take up fly fishing but only when I’m too old to ride bikes fast enough.

daftvader
    Free Member

Callmetec… That is a ridiculously small rod!! (oo Er Mrs) but I’m not sure it would stand up to sea fishing in the Caribbean. looks great for a bike bag rod tho.
    Trailrider Jim… I’d love to be able to afford the fly fishing clubs round here… Nearest one is over 300 quid for the fly season 😯

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d also suggest a front drag reel, much more suited to the sea and smoother when a big fish runs. If you can afford a shimano 8000d baitrunner it’s so damn nice

daftvader
    Free Member

Dan, I actually really like amd get on with my 6500 Abu multiplier, was thinking of a 5500 size or a similar size baitcaster

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A proper baitcaster has a very high retrieve ratio and small pinion gear which means it doesn’t have a great deal of torque. Sea fixed spools are much tougher yet retain a fast retrieve ratio and are much nicer for using light gear.

daftvader
    Free Member

Seeing as I’m going to be mainly lure fishing that’ll be fine. I also have a nice little mitchell 2500 on my normal spin rod that I could use, but fancy a baitcaster

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘fishing types… travel rod??’ is closed to new replies.