Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fishing
  • hooli

Can anybody recommend a decent UK based fishing forum please?

I like the look of fishing but have no past experience so need some advice on what kit I need, where to head and what I need to to to stand a reasonable chance of catching something.

Yak

Try your LFS and they’ll advise on the local clubs, tackle, bait etc. A local club should have some beginners/ open days where you’ll be taught everything you need to know to get going.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Question for the fishing folk – seen loads of you about this year – seemingly more than normal in Herts maybe?

Anyway question is why do so many dress up like paramilitaries? Swap the AR-15’s for fishing rods and a ton of gear you look like these dingbats

djambo
    Free Member

ask Ice

ferrals
    Free Member

because fish have eyes.

used to do a lot of fishing for wild trout in small streams and any sudden movement/ bright and unnatural colours had the fish spooked, one fish spooked soon has a large area up and downstream spooked as they pinball into each other.

Yak

It’s a better post activity pub look than lycra or matching enduro-gnar-pants-n’jersey ?

benji
    Free Member

Where are you in the world/country. Used to be a very keen angler in Lincolnshire, still have the old dabble.

Best bet is local tackle shop, they should be able to help, the environment agency have a few guides on where to fish as well. What sort of fishing are you trying to get involved with?

hooli

Thanks Yak, I have been to a LFS and not surprisingly, it is very similar to a LBS.

They only stock some ranges of gear and they have advised me to buy those, they also sell day tickets for 2 venues so have advised me to fish there. I was after a bit more neutral advice to compliment what they have told me. I am also after some recommendations to add to some of the stuff I picked up at the LFS.

Good call on the open day, I’ll see what I can find.

hooli

Benji – South East. Likely to be fishing rivers and canals to start with as they are local, if I enjoy it and catch then I may travel further away.

plop_pants
    Free Member
    iolo
    Free Member

If you’re near the sea you don’t need a ticket or rod license (unless its a privately owned bit).

plop_pants
    Free Member

whereabouts in the SE hooli? The Royal Military Canal will be lowered for winter soon but the Hythe stretch stays at normal level but it is shallow. The Stour is great for large roach and bream on the Grove Ferry stretch, but that is members only (Canterbury AC). Mote Park in Maidstone is popular and the Ashford AC club lakes in Bethersden have plenty of variety. Some parts of the River Rother are good too, slow moving so easy fishing. Try Northiam, the closer to Rye you get the deeper it gets and the banks are a bit steep!

properbikeco
    Free Member

this question totally depends on what type of fishing you want to do – is it the stuff that is local or do you want to adventure further afield.

If you do not know, either get an angling friend to take you along, or go and hire some tackle at some of these venues

last thing to do is drop a lot of money on some kit if you don’t know if you will like it.

I’m a very keen fisherman and even I find my preferences change with time

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I only do sea angling despite the fact I’m 65 miles from the sea & 1/2 a mile from the River Ure, plus loads of fishing ponds!
    Biking to thrill, fishing to chill. It’s a great pastime but I can’t get my head around fishing for stuff you can’t (realistically) eat. Thousands upon thousands do though.
    As PBC said, don’t go chucking £££’s on expensive stuff, you’ll know if you enjoy it even with a cheap setup from Argos, then you can go ape.

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/PoleFishingPoles/Frenzee-FXT-Precision-Pole-16m.htm?gclid=CJX7koOS_McCFUyNGwodTBwPVA

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Fishing has more genres than cycling
    Here’s a quick basic rundown:
    Carp fishing
    Match fishing
    Pike and predator fishing including lure angling
    Trout fishing
    Sea fishing
    Specimen angling ( for one breed of fish e.g. Barbel or Chub
    It can be a minefield and I suggest where you are finding an all round guide to show you a day and what to expect
    A muddy puddle full of carp is a good way of getting your string pulled for a fiver a day
    Have a look at the Angling trust for clubs and coaches close to you
    http://www.anglingtrust.net

My preference is river fishing due to the unknown and the beauty of the places, I’m also mainly a single species angler for Barbel but can turn my hand to most disciplines
    Tight Lines

peter1979
    Free Member

Since I started biking I have hardly been fishing, but I used to love it. Less spare time means a tricky decision on biking or fishing.

Kit to start depends on where you want to fish or what you want to catch. If you are starting from scratch then a canal or local lake is best for starters rather than a river. Mostly because fishing rivers needs competent casting and more watercraft. Once you’ve learnt the basics on canals or lakes, then tackle the rivers, I’d say.

Rods – something like a 12 to 14ft match rod will be ample
    Reels – shimano make great reels, 2500 spool size up to 4000 would be best
    6lb mono main line
    If you want to make things easy hooks to nylon simplify things, as they re already ties, hook sized from 14 to 20 should do for smaller fish, barbless.
    Then some floats, shot to weigh the line down off you go.
    Maggots, bread, sweetcorn, luncheon meat for bait. You’ll need a landing net and maybe a chair and some rod rests. The rest of the kit can come when you want it.
    Fish on the bottom to start, feed a little but often. Once the bites come then shallow up a bit at a time and the bigger fish should move in.
    Ofcourse this makes it sound easy, but it isnt and it takes years to learn, thats the best part.
    Buy Anglers Mail, read maggotdrowning forum and just give it a go.

Ebay for 2nd hand gear is great too, loads of bargains on their from people who give up or change gear regularly, also the for sale section of maggotdrowners.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fishing’ is closed to new replies.