Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fishing.
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Sooooo..

I saw a programme on the beeb last night outlining the fact that mankind is completely decimating the seas and that about a gazillion tons of fish are being removed each year. Sharks in particular are having an especially shitty time as they are hunted for fins and the bulk of the meat is thrown back in..

However tonight I was watching a show where an excitable northern chap was fishing away in Africa for “sport” and patronising the locals, he looked to be having a great time and caught a shark.
    The show then offered a prize of a shark fishing trip to somewhere…

So is fishing for sport cruel and pointless or does it have value in the modern world?

carbon337
    Free Member

There is loads worse in the seas than a bit of sport fishing. That shark they caught though should have gone back IMO.

There was a programme on the news a little while ago about un regulated fishing ships that never go into port and the crew dont get off – forced into work off the North African coast.

The large processing ships are worse than a few rich guys on sport fishing trips.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I do a canny bit of sea fishing off the North east coast in winter, & I reckon I have yet to see any threat (from sport anglers) to fish stocks, be it Cod or any type of sharks!
    Anything I can’t eat goes back in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I do a canny bit of sea fishing off the North east coast in winter, & I reckon I have yet to see any threat (from sport anglers) to fish stocks, be it Cod or any type of sharks!

Precisely what I was thinking. I grew up as an obsessive* angler (river coarse fishing) but tend not to do it now because part of me thinks it is kinda cruel. But the risks to fish stocks don’t come from line fishing – it’s the 6 mile long trawler nets.

*I would count down the days to the season starting, I would take a poachers rod to school so I could nip out at lunchtime, I would fish almost every Saturday and Sunday come rain or shine and most days after school.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Ditto that, every day of the school holidays was a river fishing day and we used camp out and fish for eels at night. We always put them back as we weren’t allowed to take anything that came from a river home. I do have several pictures of me and my very proud mates holding several different types of fish in that “classic hunter gather stance”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There was this one time when I had to go shopping with my mum (I think it was coming up to a new school term and I needed uniform). Anyways…

I went fishing in the morning and, as I was fishing a quick stretch on a grayling river, I was instream in my waders and had a pocket full of maggots.

So there I am later that day in M&S (Bradford branch) when I remember about the pocket full of maggots and got them out there and then and say ‘look mum, maggots’ at the top of my voice.

I have never seen my mum move so fast to remove me from the store and tip me upside-down outside 🙂

Zoolander
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

*I would count down the days to the season starting, I would take a poachers rod to school so I could nip out at lunchtime, I would fish almost every Saturday and Sunday come rain or shine and most days after school.

Same here. Still do the odd sneaky trip to the river once or twice a year but that’s about it. Only gave up due to the cost and taking up mountainbiking (which probably costs a similar amount !)
    Back on topic though it’s more likely the trawlers that are screwing up fish stocks in the sea especially as the majority of sport anglers put most back.

TheFlyingOx

excitable northern chap

That wouldn’t be Robson Green would it? The single most annoying man on TV, just on the strength of his general asshattery on that fishing program.

To answer your question, done a bit of course fishing but like others above I’m starting to think it’s a bit unnecessary. I prefer fly, beach and deep-sea fishing where you eat what you catch.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

I dropped a bait box full of maggots on mums pitch pine floor (the old pine boards with slight gaps in) she went ape @hit as the little buggers wriggled down through the gaps and then told me every fly in the house that summer was from my escaped maggots 😯 Oh to be a kid again……

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That wouldn’t be Robson Green would it? The single most annoying man on TV

I find him creepy, TBH. You know what I mean…. 😉

I was a coarse angler for, ohh, 20 years or more. Not been for a long while now as all the ‘artificial’ carp fisheries put me off. I just want peace and quiet, and a nice natual lake.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I do reckon that when I am old and past it I will be found, once again, on the river banks bothering chub, perch and graying.

My old dad was gonna take it back up again after he retired and I was gonna get all my kit out and go out together but the old sod only went and died didn’t he 🙁

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Me to, I kept all my fishing kit…. STW fishing day in 12 years time (60 by then and well knackered).

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes indeed Robson Green. So he goes out with his well equipped boats and all the gear and has these “battles” with fish, sort of a man versus nature thing I don’t know exactly why but it seemed wrong somehow.. I know he puts them back and eats the ones he keeps and I was fishing off Salcombe a few weeks back so I’m no innocent. I don’t know just catching stuff for sport, seemed, not cruel exactly but just wrong somehow in light of all the other stuff we do to screw nature.

willard

Heh! Found all my coarse and beach kit the other day, including the split cane float rod my grandad (rest his soul) gave me when he first taught me to fish up on Oulton Broad. On of the proudest moments of my life was catching that first fish, even if it was just a tiny Dace.

I have his old cane beachcaster rod too. It gets used once in a blue moon when I go back home, but not as much as the more modern beachcaster. I draw the line at using the centerpin reel for beach fishing though; I like my multiplier for that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The only thing I remember from my (very occasional) beach fishing attempts…

snakebite
    Free Member

Barbel….nuff said.

willard

Ah yes… Multiplier “nest”… The only way to avoid it is to brake the drum slightly with your thumb to slow it down gradually. There’s a knack to it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There’s a knack to it.

Yeah, as with all fishing I am sure there is – but as I was a coarse lad I didn’t ever have that many attempts at it (just occasional holiday attempts).

Barbel….nuff said.

Amazingly, although the Nidd is a barbel river I have never, ever caught one. Had trout, dace, perch, chub, roach, grayling (even once had a pike take a dace – on something like a 12oz bottom – nearly netted it but it darted off and broke me when it saw the net).

maxray
    Free Member

I have a weeks fishing in the Isles of Scilly each year.. love it. I try to go when I go home to see my folks on the rock (IOM). Why oh why did I choose to live in the midlands!!
    :'(

brassneck

Not been for a long while now as all the ‘artificial’ carp fisheries put me off. I just want peace and quiet, and a nice natual lake.

Exactly why I’ve not been for a years. All the lovely natural lakes are beyond the pocket of mortals. Carp puddles and pole fishing interest me not one jot.

Still got a hankering to get out after some barbel on a nice bit of river though.. maybe this summer…

geoffj

I reckon a proper Ernest Hemingway-esque big game fishing trip in the Indian Ocean is on my to do before I die list.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I grew up doing ‘game’ and a bit or pier float fishing. Loved it all. All the game stuff was consumed with chips. All the pier stuff was chucked back in ALIVE ‘part from the odd garfish which was sliced and frozen in foil ready for the next adventure 🙂
    A return to annoying trout is on the cards once sprogs have grown.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fishing.’ is closed to new replies.