Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fisher Outdoor – utter pish on a stick?
  • Nonsense
    Free Member

Just thought I'd add to the general whinge count regarding certain bike related companies. Recently at Innerleithen I had a nasty crash as a result of the lever pin on my front brake dropping straight out of my Avid Juicy Carbon front brake. Apparently this is because the tiny grub screw securing it can come loose. The brakes are less than 2 years old and the little grub screw strikes me as an utterly stupid 'design feature' (I think they have revised this on the new Avids)and really unsafe. I sent the brakes off to Fisher, who made me do it via one of their stockists, then ignored any further emails despite a specific request to contact me with deatils of any repairs necessary. After asking the shop to chase them up on my behalf I was told that to fix the brakes would cost £219, which is frankly insane. Apparently they needed to service the callipers as well, but also wanted to charge me for full service kits for the resevoir, lever and some other kit even though they would only use bits of it. Every time I have had to deal with Fishers they have been amazingly awful. Puts me right off the idea of ever buying truvativ, Avid or SRAM ever again. Anyone got any ideas as to how I can resuscitate the brakes without giving anymore cash to the horrific, evil, baby killing* monsters at Fishers?

*this might not actually be true

stevomcd
    Free Member

Loctite the grub screw?

jedi

linseed oil works too

Sancho
    Free Member

why do you think you can go direct to the importer, your warranty issues are with the company you bought them from.
    Fishers arent brilliant but i think you should concentrate on moaning about whoever sold you the brakes, Its their responsibility to deal with warranty issues on your behalf.

Sancho
    Free Member

Oh and to resuscitate the brakes you will need a piston kit, and a master cylinder kit and a bleed kit and a reservoir kit, Im sure you can get them via your lbs or online or something.

sheldona
    Free Member

So let me get this right, your brakes are 2 years old and you're moaning about a screw coming loose inturn loosing the pivot pin? Take some responsibility mate! Ever thought about going round your bike with an Allen key once in a while? Or is that someone elses job?

I've had the same issue on some Juicy Carbons however mine were on their first ride out but now get checked once in a while along with every other nut bolt etc on the bike.

ziggy
    Free Member

What he said up there. Have the brakes been serviced in those 2 years as well? Just because something cost alot to buy doesn't mean it will last longer than a budget model.

Having said that Fisher are a pile of pish, they regularly refuse warranty on parts even though the failures are consistant with a design flaw (or fact as they once told me)

Reluctant
    Free Member

Firstly,a two year old brake with a part rattled loose ain't a warranty issue in my opinion.As with most distributors, they want you to go via an authorised dealer – and why not? Dealing with the public would get far to time consuming and costly. If all you want is the pivot pin and grub screw replaced, just say so. You aren't obliged to accept their diagnosis for all the other work to be done. How well were they working before the pin fell out? If they worked ok, leave 'em be. Best option for parts might be to but a dead Juicy off the classifieds to cannibalise.
    Anyway – I'm not a Fishers fan, I've never liked their products, sales practices or dealer margins, BUT – the warranty/service dept is absolutly outstanding. I've had things sorted that I had no right to ask for and been truly amazed but the spirit of co-operation from those guys. (thanks, Scott!)
    They really ain't bad guys and I'm sure they'll do what you want if you can get the message through from your dealer.

steveh

The cheapest way to fix your brakes is just to swap the pin that fell out for a bolt and nyloc nut, no need for the grub screw at all.

29er
    Free Member

2 years of riding, did you get them serviced as stated by avid, bet not, ,,,get a life dude, fishers warranty dept is very good try, a few other distributors and then you can see what bad service is about

BenjiM

I had the same issue on some Juicy 7's, but that was my fault as I mistook the grub screw for lever reach when I first got them. You can probably buy the pin and screw from CRC which is where I got mine from. I did use a bolt in the meantime however. But when it actually went missing I had a hunt for a small twig so I could happily carry on my ride :D. No idea what the bolt is like on the carbons but this is what I bought Juicy 5 & 7 push rod kit

billybob
    Free Member

That'll be the same Fishers who when my Juicy caliper started leaking oil replaced the brake, sent me back a brake that had a different problem so it went back to their warranty department, they then lost that brake, finally said they found it & had sorted the issue, then sent me back the wrong brake (i sent them a white one & got a bronze one back) & finally when sending me a replacement brake in the correct colour it had exactly the same issue so having lost patience with Fisher my LBS fixed my brake for me for free so to avoid dealing with their warranty department for the upteenth time….

It has put me off buying anything they import just in case it needs warranteed.

RichPenny
    Free Member

£220 to fix a set of brakes is pretty shocking, surely that's about 70% of their cost! Were they working ok when the grub screw disappeared? Just ask Fisher to replace the grub screw and send them back, then get an LBS you trust to do a service if they need it. FWIW, never serviced any of my brakes besides a single bleed on each of my hope sets, which work pretty well after 6 and 2 years respectively. Also owned a set of juicy's, which were always a bit shonky and pistons seized after less than 1000 miles on the bike.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Get a life? Good old Interweb constructive discussion. Yes I got them serviced and I bled them regularly as well. I'm not blaming Fishers for the pin falling loose, just the fact that they haven't been very helpful since. I'm just saying that the service they offered was pretty rubbish. Maybe I've been spoilt by some of the other MTB companies I've dealt with in the past … Hope for example. I can't see how charging £219 for a service, on a brake set I could buy now for £260 is reasonable? Just seems a little bit bonkers. I also never said I wanted it all fixed under warranty. Thanks to those who have given constructive suggestions for DIY rescue remedies.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fisher Outdoor – utter pish on a stick?’ is closed to new replies.